Switching RF outputs

Lee Douglas

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2011
Northwest
I always love the ideas I get here, so here's my latest challenge:
I'm working with a correctional institution that has 13 standard CATV televisions and one cable input. They want to be able to individually turn on and off the cable signal to each of these monitors, through ASCII commands, RS-232 or contact closure. I've found manual swtiches and IR switches, but I need something that I can control from an existing touch screen surface.

I already know that I can't do this but I don't know why; what if I converted F-Connector RF to BNC connector RF and ran it through a baseband video matrix?

Re: Switching RF outputs

I already know that I can't do this but I don't know why; what if I converted F-Connector RF to BNC connector RF and ran it through a baseband video matrix?

the reason is that RF video (really VHF and UHV transmissions confined to a cable) are higher frequency than baseband video, so any video switch won't be setup to pass those frequencies.

I don't know if I've heard of an RF video switcher/router, and I wouldn't expect to see one because RF contains multiple channels so the switcing is done at the TV set.
the only solution I can think of is to get a good distribution amp with multiple isolated outputs, then add on an RS232 controlled relay pack to simply disconnect each feed. the DA will also help make up for any loss through the non-RF relays

check these guys out for simple relay packs.
https://www.gilderfluke.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16_77

Jason