Synchronization for multitrack to video

Chris Greco

Sophomore
Feb 15, 2012
Yonkers, NY
Had a request today to multitrack a band that needed to sync to video that was also being shot at the same time. Do I just have the video guys generate time code and I record it to one of my tracks and then in post have them chase sync to that?

Re: Synchronization for multitrack to video

Had a request today to multitrack a band that needed to sync to video that was also being shot at the same time. Do I just have the video guys generate time code and I record it to one of my tracks and then in post have them chase sync to that?

The video guys should send you a SMPTE time code line that you burn to 1 channel. When they post, they will sync.

Video should give you a Video Black Burst "video sync" signal to clock your recorder, this is basically to make sure the video decks and you audio recorder run at exactly the same speed. They should also give you a SMPTE/LTC line that you either record as audio on a channel or use as your "timeline" in the recorder. This is to "timestamp" you recordings, so you can match up the starting point(s) in editing.

Both the above things are correct, but to be clear, there are 2 things involved here:

1) Syncing the audio and video record
2) Timestamping the records

Syncing is to ensure things run at the same speed, and to make sure the frames of multiple video recorders line up exactly. Timestamping is for aligning the audio and video during editing. Ideally, you want both.