Telos The Link

drew gandy

Junior
Jul 17, 2011
Chicago
Any body have experience with these? We're linking intercom across two locations and I'm trying to use a pair of these (2 com lines) at my location. I'm finding that the level balance between the incoming phone line and our local com is out of balance. It seems odd that there aren't any front panel controls for this other than the variable in-out switch.

Last edited:
Re: Telos The Link

Any body have experience with these? We're linking intercom across two locations and I'm trying to use a pair of these (2 com lines) at my location. I'm finding that the level balance between the incoming phone line and our local com is out of balance. It seems odd that there aren't any front panel controls for this other than the variable in-out switch.

There actually are level controls on the send and receive, but they are inside. Many rental companies drill holes in the top of the case to access them, but you can get at them by removing the top of the case.

You have the most control if you use a 4 wire interface into your comm and use the 4 wire I/O on the dSub connector.

Mac

Re: Telos The Link

Thanks Mac. You confirmed my suspicion about techs getting inside the box.
I was able to access the internal controls (neither of the rental vendors in this case have performed the modification to the lid) and got my main com line balanced pretty well. I was lucky with the first one and found a small allen driver in my tool box that actually fit the front panel knob that has to come off in order to open the case. The second unit was harder to get into (different kind of knob on the front) and then ultimately wasn't workable as I wasn't able to get anything more than a faint bleed from the com to the phone. The other direction worked fine. I ended up using a small JK Audio box as the phone line interface and sent the phone line to that com over a program audio input on the main com base. The audio going the other way was a bit more convoluted and involved a gooseneck mic and a small mixer to serve as a mic preamp. But it worked! [for the one crew member who needed that line]
Now that the show is over I've got time to look more closely at the manual.

A) Just how many turns do the internal trim pots go?

B) Do you often use the DB15 plug with breakout to interface these instead of just connecting it straight to a com line?

C) How often do you actually use these? Do you prefer a different piece/s of gear for this kind of function?