The build begins-finally

Re: The build begins-finally

We want the phase trace! :)

Here is a Smaart capture (with some smoothing and without smoothing).

I did this in Smaart because most people here are used to seeing it that way.

Yes a little bit more rotation than I would like-but nothing sharp.

This was after a few minor tweaks on the crossover and again-NO DSP or processing of any type.

Attachments

• Response w phase.jpg
    Response w phase.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0

Looks pretty durned good.

Take the feet off and put some spikes on so they don't wobble on the carpet.

I have been playing them for quite a few people (employees and people visiting) and it is quite funny to see peoples mouths drop and the smile on their faces. They ALL say "that is unbelievable-WOW!"j I am very happy with the outcome. Wish I hadn't waited so long.

These are actually very solid. I added a lot of weight to them. They probably weigh 3 times what they did when new.

I've still got a bit of finish work to do to them-ie make the crossover perminent (it is on a prototype board now)-install new handles and make a backing plate and so forth.

I am still not quite sure what to do about the input jack. Of course the old one was 1/4". Even though I have highly modified the insides-I am hesitant to put an NL4 on the rear panel.

I don't really like the idea of a cable hanging out the 1/4" hole with a NL4 jack on it. Fine for the office-but when I take them out to gigs-not so good.

I guess I will get everything else done-before I cut the hole on the rear. I just hate to "mess up" the outside.

I have been playing them for quite a few people (employees and people visiting) and it is quite funny to see peoples mouths drop and the smile on their faces. They ALL say "that is unbelievable-WOW!"j I am very happy with the outcome. Wish I hadn't waited so long.

These are actually very solid. I added a lot of weight to them. They probably weigh 3 times what they did when new.

I've still got a bit of finish work to do to them-ie make the crossover perminent (it is on a prototype board now)-install new handles and make a backing plate and so forth.

I am still not quite sure what to do about the input jack. Of course the old one was 1/4". Even though I have highly modified the insides-I am hesitant to put an NL4 on the rear panel.

I don't really like the idea of a cable hanging out the 1/4" hole with a NL4 jack on it. Fine for the office-but when I take them out to gigs-not so good.

I guess I will get everything else done-before I cut the hole on the rear. I just hate to "mess up" the outside.

Ivan,

A great job, but now every retro cover band doing '60's and '70's music is going to want a pair(or two)! Seriously, there may be a market for a limited run.

As for the NL4 issue, why not cut a replacement rear baffle, mount all the upgrade stuff onto it, and fit it out with dual NL4 jacks. Then you can save the original parts.

Best regards,

John

Ivan,

A great job, but now every retro cover band doing '60's and '70's music is going to want a pair(or two)! Seriously, there may be a market for a limited run.

As for the NL4 issue, why not cut a replacement rear baffle, mount all the upgrade stuff onto it, and fit it out with dual NL4 jacks. Then you can save the original parts.

Best regards,

John
That's an idea-but I like the color of the rear.

The upgrades are a lot more than just crossover and drivers. The mid/high coax is in a sealed chamber from the woofers-glued and screwed. There is also a lot of bracing-glued and screwed. But probably the biggest thing that would make it hard to go back is the ports. I put 3 4" ports on a piece of wood that fit where one of the drivers used to go. Then glued it down with the mounting bolts coming through it. But since there were only 4 mounting bolts-I added more-just to keep it from buzzing.

All of hte drivers have an extra 4 screws to help keep them in place.

I guess it could be cleaned up-but I like them so much-they will probably stay that way until I am no longer around.

I need to sell the old woofers to help pay for the build.

Anybody wanna buy 8 12" vintage Alinico drivers?

No matter how heavy or solid they are, they will wobble on the carpet, and will sound much better when you make it so they don't (spikes).
And when they put on a stage and slide around-they will tear it up. Some people would get very upset.

I agree that the spikes would provide less surface area to "wobble on"-but like everything-it is a matter of compromise.

I guess the triangular "rounded points" might be a good compromise.

Something to think about that I had not considered-thanks.

Not sure where I found this pic but I had to save it.

View attachment 4557

There was a church in Bradenton that one of them in the ever popular blues sparkle!
Pigpen (nee Ronald C.McKernan) played one of those at a free concert held in front of the Museum of Natural History in Denver's City Park on September 24, 1967.

You can see part of it over his left shoulder in the bottom right corner of the picture. Check out also the big re-entrant horn on a stand in the background. I was there and can assure you it was 1/2 of the TOTAL speaker system used to cover the audience area.

Attachments

• dead_denver_9_24_1967.jpg
    dead_denver_9_24_1967.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 0

It is quite amazing to me how times have changed-especially in the size of systems used.

We all used to attend shows that had systems that would be considered a joke by todays standards-yet still enjoyed the event.

Cream toured with a 500 watt system.. The 5th Dimension used A PAIR of Shure Vocal Masters for most of their shows and so forth

And just becasue gear is of better quality-DOES NOT mean the osund quality is better.

I attended a concert this weekend by a band that everybody knows (no matter what kind of music you listen to) and they had some top quality gear-but yet the sound presented was just BAD-at least for most of the audience (the areas that I could get to anyway).

I don't think it was the mix per say (except the near constant feedback)-but rather the way the systems (which consisted of several systems actually) were used. Highly distorted-highly compressed-and just plain painful. It physically HURT to listen to-at least in the main coverage area.

And I like it loud-but ONLY if it is balanced and sounds good. This was not and did not.

I guess it comes down to "did anybody associated with the sound ACTUALLY LISTEN to the sound where 99% of the audience was? I can almost guarantee you that they did not.

We left probably 1/4 way into the show. The band looked like they were doing their job well-but as I said to myself "what's the point?".

Louder is not always better.