The ethics of cabinet copying

Re: The ethics of cabinet copying

It's funny how this converstation has drifted away from the original question. We are now discussing the practical aspects of speaker building and not the ethics of stealing someone else's design!

Personally, I think it is unethical to copy any other products and I wish we had better laws to prevent it and some means to enforce those laws. Of course that is probably impossible so we must rely on the ethics of the consumer. Ha, that's a good one!
icon_lol.gif

There already are laws. Enforcement is rarely involved unless there are full containers of purloined designs that can be grabbed. Most remedies are civil, so injury must rise to a level that supports litigation.

-----

Individuals seem flexible on this depending on self interest, and perhaps personal maturity.

I am more concerned about widespread copying of music, movies, and computer software in developing regions as that is a major US export that is being stolen, without compensation the creators.

JR

Just to be clear. Making a copy of a cabinet that costs 4-5000 usd will surely end up costing less then half even if you have to pay for a very well equipped shop to do all difficult things that you cant including laser cut and 3-4 axis cnc machining.

And why will the rigging hardware be unsafe if you do it the same?

All of the high league boxes are extremely overpriced having the production cost in mind.

What about the costs of R&D brand recognition etc.

The Although you may be thinking of a exact clone the OP obviously was not. If someone is going to do a clone with not as good speakers, I would also assume with not as good wood and not as good hardware.

I Believe Beyma has Plans available for a line array and other planss are available

Going back to what Jason said about solid proprietary boxes like double 18, double 15, double 12 x 2 inch, etc. That's what I am using and get great ROI. In my local, small regional service market they fit the needs perfect. I get many good compliments on the quality of the system. It's not only about the equipment but the service to the client that goes along with it.

How does the cost of materials (and the inherent costs of construction) compare with just buying second hand trap boxes?

I guess it makes more sense if you already have a decent wood shop set up. (And are able to operate a table saw without serious risk to your appendages)

Going back to what Jason said about solid proprietary boxes like double 18, double 15, double 12 x 2 inch, etc. That's what I am using and get great ROI. In my local, small regional service market they fit the needs perfect. I get many good compliments on the quality of the system. It's not only about the equipment but the service to the client that goes along with it.

How does the cost of materials (and the inherent costs of construction) compare with just buying second hand trap boxes?

I guess it makes more sense if you already have a decent wood shop set up. (And are able to operate a table saw without serious risk to your appendages)

Depending on the type and condition of the ''second hand'' trap boxes it could be about the same. My double 12 x 2 inch cabinets cost me about $850 in materials to build, that was all new components except the horns. Loaded with B&C 12PE32 speakers, EV ND6x drivers and JBL 2385 horns. The last pair I built came in under that because I scored some great deals on components. To buy a comparable new EV QRX or JBL SRX cabinet there about twice that cost.

I just finished a pair of single 15 x 2 inch trap cabinets, B&C, EV, JBL for well under the cost of comparable offerings.

To be honest I did not factor in my time building them in the cost. Normally I do major building projects during my slower time like late December thru now!

At last count I still had all of my appendages :D