Tips for a beginner

Jack Conner

Dec 27, 2023
Evanston
Have always wanted to create edm music but have never had the funds or spare time. Now I have the spare time and am wanting to do the theory so to speak. Can anyone recommend any literature and programs etc. I have barely any music knowledge but can play a song played to me back on most instruments. Hoping to learn piano this year which I hope will help, but looking to learn logic pro or similar programs etc. Any help guidance in the right direction would be awesome.

Jack,

Learning the circle of fifths would be a good introduction to music theory.
For most, it is easier to grasp music theory concepts on a keyboard instrument.

You Tube videos can introduce you to music theory and production at almost any level.
There are a wide variety of DAW programs, Reaper probably among the best is similar to Logic Pro or Pro Tools, but more efficient and free.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Karol
Hi
I'd suggest you start with a simple app focused on music creation that has lots of loops and pre-built stuff. It will get you into actually making things faster than some more typical DAW software.

FL Studio is very popular in the edm music creation space.

If you have a mac download garageband for free. It is a great tool to get to know the ins and outs of multitrack recording. Its been a few years since I have used it though. Hopefully it hasnt changed too much. Apple has a way of "updating" their software to death.

Just be careful. I used to run music technology courses at a college 16-20 year olds. We used to interview every applicant and loads also said
I Have always wanted to create edm music but have …… enter excuse.

our response was always great, let’s have a listen to what you’ve produced so far? Blank face.

cost wise, it’s never a barrier to entrants who have as a minimum a computer that makes sound. Everything you need is available for free. The DAW, the samples, the synths. Time wise, again, if you have a passion for something you make time.

it sounds like I’m putting you off, but the serious question is if you have always wanted to do something, why haven’t you done it. You could be making it now. i suppose I really am trying to put you off because it takes hours, stresses you out and it’s never good enough. You have to learn to get criticised.

first thing is to AVOID music theory for the moment. First job, analyse music you like in your genre and really understand it. Learn to pick it apart. Use your watch and work out the beats per minute. Break it down into sections. EDM is usually chunks of music bolted together. Work out where the joins are, learn to recognise where the producer has joined them up. Work out what the individual tracks are. Certainly there will be hihats, snares and kicks. Work out the patterns they are playing, and the changes that happen. Then maybe consider the bass. Synth or real guitar? Or both? Synths playing leads or pads? Maybe even piano of some kind. Other instruments or effects, then voices. Sung properly or chopped up phrases.

all this assumes you have a musical ear. If you are tone deaf, then that’s a barrier to moving forwards. Some people get over it by being a great editor of other people’s material. A remixer, or sampler. Can you play a few chords on a guitar or piano. Do you understand why C, F and G are often called I, IV and V? Do you understand the difference between Major and minor? The circle of fifths is one of those wow things when it suddenly clicks, but many people have never even heard of it. You need to have an aptitude, and the frequent question we asked when people said they had a passion, but no examples was why not? That’s what I want to come to college for! We used to say we needed them to be a musician already and we’d make them better. Wanting something doesn’t mean it’s possible.

ask yourself why you have not even tried in whatever free time you have had? If you had a passion, you’d have found time.

your job now is to tell me I’m totally wrong and you really do have the drive, the skills and the need to do it, but just remember that I have tried to learn to fly three times over 40 years. I know the science, the comms, the navigation, the law, and I really want to fly but I can’t, because I have no coordination or special awareness. I know HOW to fly, but it’s simply not possible, as I have no natural skill. Music is the same. Not everyone can do it, especially when they have lots of money. They can buy the kit, but struggle. You need to consider how musical you are now.

im not trying to put you off, well, actually I am, and you’re job is to tell me I am wrong, starting because ………

Reactions: David Morison