To answer the yearly ''Is it OK to have my gear in cold weather?''

Adam Whetham

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
YES

Right now at this temp there is an 01v96v2 with a rack mounted computer, and a motion computing LE1600 (battery probably won't like me), itech's, XTi's, speakers of ranging levels (yamaha BR up to SRX) and all of our cables and lighting system (LED'S and Incadecants).

Carry on, and don't worry. When you get it inside the gig, open the cases and let them thaw. Storing it outside doesn't hurt one bit.

Thank you have a good day.

Re: To answer the yearly ''Is it OK to have my gear in cold weather?''

Agreed. I should have taken a photo of a thermometer showing -40 sitting with our gear.

I don't know about gear working happily for a -40 outdoor concert. If you're in that situation - you have more issues to deal with than simply how well the gear works
icon_smile.gif

Agreed. I should have taken a photo of a thermometer showing -40 sitting with our gear.

I don't know about gear working happily for a -40 outdoor concert. If you're in that situation - you have more issues to deal with than simply how well the gear works
icon_smile.gif

once did an outdoor political rally in ukraine in january. -17F with a windchill [whipping off the black sea] easily south of -60F. used an 01v96 and two hangs of d&b q-series. worked flawlessly.

actually, the rig worked flawlessly for 3 months of crazy cold/snow/sleet/dirt/etc. at the end of the run one of my 01v96s had one slightly sticky fader.

not bad for a desk that was designed to live in a post-production video suite.
icon_smile.gif

brian

Carry on, and don't worry. When you get it inside the gig, open the cases and let them thaw. Storing it outside doesn't hurt one bit.

Just don't do that with the guitar cases
icon_eek.gif

An old friend woke up one morning, realized he forgot to take his Les Paul out of the back seat of his car the night (early morning) before, in below zero temperatures.

He ran out, brought the guitar in, opened the case, and watched in horror as the finish weather checked before his eyes.

If he would have just left the case closed for an hour or so to slowly acclimatize, the finish would still be intact.

Just don't do that with the guitar cases
icon_eek.gif

An old friend woke up one morning, realized he forgot to take his Les Paul out of the back seat of his car the night (early morning) before, in below zero temperatures.

He ran out, brought the guitar in, opened the case, and watched in horror as the finish weather checked before his eyes.

If he would have just left the case closed for an hour or so to slowly acclimatize, the finish would still be intact.

I have a friend that bought a Fender Strat 62 reissue and moved to Alaska for a year or 2. While there he would leave it on the dash of his pickup truck. No need to lock anything or worry about a case or anything silly like that. It looks very authentic now.
icon_lol.gif

Sure.

The cold won't bother a thing. For awhile....

Local band brought me a non working speaker. Said it had not been working right and sounded scratchy for awhile. Now it had stopped all together. Took it out of the box and found this.

Peavey Black Widow

This was AFTER I cleaned it up. The gap was rusted as well and there was rust on the coil. The coil had warped and could not be used.

In time even the inside of an 01v96 could look like this if enough moisture works in.

Take care. Keep your equipment dry and away from frost.

Douglas R. Allen