Toby Keith's Clubs

John Chiara

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
Troy, NY
Reading the article 'Purpose Built' in the new Live Sound magazine. Pretty interesting as the venue in Syracuse, NY is one of the most ridiculously designed places for music I have ever been...starting with the fact that every surface in the joint is either polished concrete or the new 'cool' thing... That shitty corrugated sheet metal wall covering that always sounds awful!
Not to mention that the mix position is completely out of the coverage of the anemic FOH system.
Shaking my head.....

Re: Toby Keith's Clubs

And how does...in the same issue..a Roland M480 get into the Large Format digital console category along with Studer Vusta and Midas Pro9?

The Woodbridge location is the same!

Lol!!! Just had a conversation with a local club owner about his planned 'rehab' and he said he was tearing out existing drop ceiling in the whole place and he said..'you are probably not going to like this idea!' After he told me his ideas I told him...'I see you are trying to design a noisy restaurant.'
Very typical and bad design seems to reproduce itself.

Bar owners and interior decorators just love "warehouse chic" because it's cheap. Never mind that it makes music a miserable experience.

Another factor is ease of cleaning and durability. I don't know of any acoustically absorbant materials that won't also soak up a spilled drink and hold it (but not its odor) for the next eternity.

About the best you can hope for is plenty of absorbtion hung in the rafters, a system design that keeps energy off the walls, and a packed room.

There's many ways to make a room more appealing acoustically that can avoid the "messy spills often" regions.

My consulting experience over the last decade has been:

1) Help us design a place that sounds awesome!
2) make appropriate recommendations
3) have recommendations ignored (i.e. thrown-out-the-window) by "trained and experienced" interior designers and architects.
4) install previously agreed upon PA rig into the resulting glass & steel cube
5) day after opening field bawling phone-calls from client begging for acoustic fixes
6) install half-assed acoustic fixes at triple the end cost then the original concept would have cost.
7) GOTO 1) -and sometimes with the same client in a new project!

-I just saw the article in question and I can hear the acoustic unfriendliness of the joint just looking at the pictures! -been in that type of space too many times already in my life and just tired of it. (My ears lately crave dingy low-ceilinged 70's divebar decor irregardless of the smell!