TSO Providence, RI on December 19th

Re: TSO Providence, RI on December 19th

I just bought some tickets to go to Trans-Siberian Orchestra in Providence on the 19th for the 4:00pm show, anyone going to be there? Production guys or otherwise? I wouldn't mind a nice tour of the rig :)

Assuming East & West shows have the same production: Clair i5+b5/i3/iMini with PLM power. Digico SD7 at mon & FOH.

23 trucks. Lots of automation. Stupid heavy.

I assume he was a stagehand and had to deal with load in/out. I would love to see one of their show some time.

You assume correctly. I was a truck loader. The automation carpenter pointed to a some very large devices and said "each of those is 3,000 lbs of 'fuck you up'. Follow my instructions." Hell yes.

There is a lot of stage/set automation in their shows and that stuff is big and heavy; they bring their own stage, too.

Pfft...for our truck loaders, that would have been as good as saying " do the exact opposite of what I tell you"

That might be why our loaders hear about how much better they are than OKC or asluT. OKC's Ford Center is now a "Brand X" labor venue, with truckloaders so smelly (homeless recruited off the street at 9pm) that one truck driver had to leave the trailer before he puked. The cable caddies looked like stuff was dumped in *upside down* and then jumped on to close the lid. Our electricians spent 30 minutes laying out cables so they could be run correctly. But hey, Oklahoma wanted a union-less state and the lowest possible labor prices so this is what they find acceptable.

Hey, you're not going to offend me by insulting our truck loaders. Even though they are the highest paid truck loaders in the country and we don't pull them off the street, they still smell just as bad and I try to stay away from them for fear of catching some non-curable disease. 8)~:cool:~:cool:

I am not, nor have I ever been a truck loader. I'm not over 60 and have not broken any hips or had any knees replaced, so I'm not qualified to be a truck loader in our local.

That was amazing. 8am-5 soundcheck according to the comments. Wow. A ton of work (well, quite a bit more!) and well orchestrated. Kudos to the crew! (Union or not). Thanks, Jordan!
frank

Their day starts at 6am with tour rigger(s) and Local head rigger computing bridles and marking the floor. 7am call is for Local riggers (around 20), truck loaders (8) and department heads/assistants (about 24); at 8am another 30 or so assistants come in. I think there was a 9am call, too, but I'll have to check the paperwork...

The stage is built at the opposite end of the arena and the stage push occurs at 12:45pm, right before the 8am assistants are released. Sound check is around 4pm, IIRC.

I takes about 3 - 3.5 hours to take down and load out.

Their day starts at 6am ...

...I takes about 3 - 3.5 hours to take down and load out.

I just remembered how glad I am that I had another gig booked this year and couldn't take this call!

My favorite part of last year's (2013) TSO show was the giant tank farm and manifold system for flame effects. It was pretty cool!

I just remembered how glad I am that I had another gig booked this year and couldn't take this call!

My favorite part of last year's (2013) TSO show was the giant tank farm and manifold system for flame effects. It was pretty cool!

They do some cool pyro/cryo stuff. The loud effects have been tamed down and more vapor/flame effects are in use. Lots of propane and C02, maybe some nitrogen. Our county fire marshal brings new guys to the required afternoon demonstrations and signing of the permits; fire seems to give them "extra happy thoughts". :roll:

That might be even more amazing. Again, Kudos to all the "big boys" and "big girls" getting all that work done, from planning to execution.
I've always had respect, but let's call this newfound respect.

The real fun is prepping a tour, from delivery of the first truck load of truss, some NIB moving lights, bins of cables and a prep team with high speed label printers. Truss is laid out and bolted together and the first of numerous compromises will begin altering the original plan. Lights are mounted, labeled on truss and unit and connectors; power and data cables taped together as they are run. Trusses and cable hods get lots of color-coding with miles of tape. The set is assembled and any lighting or automation is added and tested. Eventually every cable hod is marked with end-of-truss spikes, cable pick spikes, and has been allocated space in a trunk or caddy. In the audio department the patch person configures sub snakes, input whips and looms, etc and any required assembly is done. The PA gets flown, monitor world is built and rehearsals can begin.

Then it's show time and we get to see if it comes apart and goes into the trucks as anticipated. Sure thing, pal.... ;) The first loadout is the longest and 1 unlucky driver is going back home if his truck isn't needed... And the tour has officially begun.