UCS1PB V USC1 - - Weight ! !

Brian Murphy

Freshman
Jun 18, 2012
Hey everyone.

A question for the more experienced.

I was going to dump some old "stuff" and look around for a UCS1PB and later when I have more money get another.
While looking at the specs I noticed that it weighs 155 lbs. Hey that's almost as much as I weigh! LOL I'm almost 60, <5'10", 160lbs, and in good shape but I don't want to be lifting 155lb subs.

I see the UCS1(non-powered) weighs a lot less at 118 lbs. and I have a pair of Mackie 1400i amps that I was going to sell. One hardly has any time on it although it's at least 12 yrs old and the other I'm not sure of. Both seem to work fine. I know "Mackie" doesn't float a lot of boats here but I'm wondering if I'm better off going with the UCS1's (less weight and < 1/2 the cost of the UCS1PB) and using the Mackie's until I have more money for better amps? The Mackies are rated at 850W@8 Ohms and 1200W@4 Ohms (Bridged). If I used a 1400i in bridged mode I'm assuming I'd be better off using one amp/box at 850W rather than 2 boxes in parallel at 4 Ohms/1200W because then each box would only see 600W. Yeah....Nay?

Or is there a Powered Sub that's as good as the UCS1PB that doesn't weigh nearly as much as I do in the same price range?
Or...buy two USC1's, dump the 1400i amps and buy a.."X" amp?

Thanks
Murph........

Re: UCS1PB V USC1 - - Weight ! !

Having once owned the UCS1, they where pretty easy to move around. I think that would be the same with the UCS1PB. The taller cab was much easier to get into the truck than my SRX718s.

Go with the UCS1PB; they go a little lower and with the built in amp it is alreayd spec'd and EQ'd.

The only complain I have with Yorkville powered gear is that I wish they would put some PowerCon on their speakers.

I'd scrap the idea of using UCS1 anything if you're going to be using them as singles. Horn subs generally don't work well until you get a pretty good block of them. I think the guideline for UCS1 was at least 2, but 3 is where it really started to get good.

The weight isn't that big of a deal unless you have to lift it into a truck. The UCS1 sub offers wheels on which it can be tilted back and rolled around, just like a built-in hand truck.

If you want something that works well as a single, the forum-favorite seems to be the Yorkville LS801P.

The only complain I have with Yorkville powered gear is that I wish they would put some PowerCon on their speakers.

I have to disagree. Just talking to a rep the other day, complaining about putting Powercon on a $700 ish speaker, the rep stated, "if the speaker had Powercon no one buying it would even know what that is."

Some guys may have lots of Powercon (like me, and Matt), but if you think of the usual speakers for sale in Guitar Center, how many customers actually know what Powercon is, and are prepared to stock an inventory of that? Not many....does GC even sell Powercon anything?

I'd scrap the idea of using UCS1 anything if you're going to be using them as singles. Horn subs generally don't work well until you get a pretty good block of them. I think the guideline for UCS1 was at least 2, but 3 is where it really started to get good.

The weight isn't that big of a deal unless you have to lift it into a truck. The UCS1 sub offers wheels on which it can be tilted back and rolled around, just like a built-in hand truck.

If you want something that works well as a single, the forum-favorite seems to be the Yorkville LS801P.

Yes, the LS801P is almost 20lbs lighter than the UCS1PB but as you said, the UCS would be easier to handle.

I could, and would, purchase two UCS1's instead of 1-UCS1PB (until I have more money) if the scenario works.

Will two UCS1's (powered by 2- Mackie 1400i's at 850W each, bridged) sound better or worse than 1 powered UCS1PB?

Yes, the LS801P is almost 20lbs lighter than the UCS1PB but as you said, the UCS would be easier to handle.

I could, and would, purchase two UCS1's instead of 1-UCS1PB (until I have more money) if the scenario works.

Will two UCS1's (powered by 2- Mackie 1400i's at 850W each, bridged) sound better or worse than 1 powered UCS1PB?

Two UCS1s, properly powered (your Mackies are probably OK), and processed, in one block, would certainly sound better.

If you're intending to use just two boxes, they'd have to be in one block to sound even halfway decent. Are you prepared to set them up that way?

Two UCS1s, properly powered (your Mackies are probably OK), and processed, in one block, would certainly sound better.

If you're intending to use just two boxes, they'd have to be in one block to sound even halfway decent. Are you prepared to set them up that way?

Stacked side by side or on top of each other, sure.

Stacked side by side or on top of each other, sure.

Then do it. They should sound great. Matt Viv probably has some good DSP settings for these, or else Yorkville might. High pass filter on horn subs is very important.

<sales hat on> If you're intending to buy these new, shoot me a PM, I can probably help you out.

JBL VRX918SP. Quite a bit lighter, sounds great and easy to move around when you put casters on them. Should be pretty close to a USC1 powered box.

Then do it. They should sound great. Matt Viv probably has some good DSP settings for these, or else Yorkville might. High pass filter on horn subs is very important.

<sales hat on> If you're intending to buy these new, shoot me a PM, I can probably help you out.

Those settings... might have been created by Evan, can't remember, I doubt I have them written down anywhere.

I have to disagree. Just talking to a rep the other day, complaining about putting Powercon on a $700 ish speaker, the rep stated, "if the speaker had Powercon no one buying it would even know what that is."

Some guys may have lots of Powercon (like me, and Matt), but if you think of the usual speakers for sale in Guitar Center, how many customers actually know what Powercon is, and are prepared to stock an inventory of that? Not many....does GC even sell Powercon anything?

I understand the lower end models having IEC.. but their upper lines should have that.

Does Yorkville put IECs on their VTC line? That considered Yorkville's Professional like.

The weight difference really is insignificant in most situations. When you have stairs to deal with, two people can easily lift UCS1P's. I like the simplicity of plug and play. Handles and wheels are in all the right places for two people. I've pulled them upstairs alone as well, in hand truck fashion.

The powered versions are a bit larger and have a little more output also. I've used them 1 per side, and (often) 2 per side. A block of four really does move some air.

I voted UCS1PB's with my money, and I will again.

The weight difference really is insignificant in most situations. When you have stairs to deal with, two people can easily lift UCS1P's. I like the simplicity of plug and play. Handles and wheels are in all the right places for two people. I've pulled them upstairs alone as well, in hand truck fashion.

The powered versions are a bit larger and have a little more output also. I've used them 1 per side, and (often) 2 per side. A block of four really does move some air.

I voted UCS1PB's with my money, and I will again.

Hey everyone! After last night(my first outdoor gig this season) I need to rethink my plan. Without going into a long explanation let's just say I have a lung issue that doesn't prevent me from singing(as long as I don't move a lot on stage and don't sing Rap...LOL) but does limit me when it comes to lifting, moving, and carrying heavy gear or making a lot of trips to and fro my vehicle. More work.... equals more AIR needed. Which I don't have. It was in the mid to high 90's and I was gasping for air quite a bit besides perspiring enough to look like a drowned rat. At the show it's one thing but at home it's me who will have to load and unload PA gear so for now I think Subs are out of the question. I'm working hard enough already...and then I have to play, tear down, load up and go home. I'm totally wasted at the end of the night. But, we did have a lot of fun at last night's gig. :D~:-D~:grin: I park in the garage, take my guitars inside, and unload the rest the next day.

I can get a pair of QSC K12's and a pair of UCS1's (I have amps for the subs but I'd like to nix them) mixed new and "B" stock for about $2600 total including delivery. Is there a decent pair of tops with 15" drivers that I can purchase for the same amount of money (yes, I know I will have to compromise on bass) but still sound better in the bottom end than using K12's or some other 12" top? The less equipment I have to move the better, and yes weight is an issue. Taller is better than short and wide for me. Separates would be OK if I can stack them on stage and on a hand truck or dolly and I don't need Swartzenegger to help me lift them. I prefer powered spks. Less product to move!

I know it'a a tall order but HEY! You guys are great at coming up with suggestions and solutions. :D~:-D~:grin:

Thanks

Murph...........

A few main speakers happen to extend down a ways (large line arrays and some Danley models come to mind), but you won't get that thump.

Danley TH-Mini subs with your K12's come to mind and would work well, but are a bit higher cost. I can carry a Mini under each arm pretty easily.

I can get a pair of QSC K12's and a pair of UCS1's (I have amps for the subs but I'd like to nix them) mixed new and "B" stock for about $2600 total including delivery. Is there a decent pair of tops with 15" drivers that I can purchase for the same amount of money (yes, I know I will have to compromise on bass) but still sound better in the bottom end than using K12's or some other 12" top? The less equipment I have to move the better, and yes weight is an issue. Taller is better than short and wide for me. Separates would be OK if I can stack them on stage and on a hand truck or dolly and I don't need Swartzenegger to help me lift them. I prefer powered spks. Less product to move!

I know it'a a tall order but HEY! You guys are great at coming up with suggestions and solutions. :D~:-D~:grin:

Thanks

Murph...........

Murph,

For a lightweight powered top with a 15" in it you ought to look at JBL PRX 635. It is tall at 36", light at 60 pounds, and if you believe the specs it has pretty good bass extension (-3db at 53 hz). Add to that it is pretty cheap at $1000 or less each and it ought to fit your needs really nicely. It isn't gonna have the bass of a decent sub or two but it should do pretty well. And being a 3 way it will likely sound a bit better than most MI level two way powered boxes. OTOH I've never heard them so can't directly vouch for that. If you wanted more output possibly at the cost of some clarity you could go with a dual 15" powered box like PRX 625 that is supposed to be 4db louder but weighs the same.

There are other powered 3 ways that are affordable (Mackie HD1531 or QSC KW153) but they weigh a fair bit more (96 lbs for the Mackie and 87lb for the QSC). There are several folks on here Evan Kirkendall is one) who own and use the Mackie and like it quite a lot. See his review here http://soundforums.net/product-reviews/25-mackie-hd1531-hd1801.html I'm not sure how loud you need to run but I'm betting you would be happier with a 3 way powered top in this price range than you would with a double 15" two way design.

Good luck,
Loren Jones

I'd prefer to stay clear of Mackie spks and used the 1531 + 1801 put me over what I can get the K12's and UCS1's for new and "B" stock.
I haven't listened to the larger PRX boxes yet but have read pro's and con's. But then you read pro's and con's about nearly all gear. Caleb's TH-Mini idea sounds interesting but again more expensive. Choices! I know....at this price point I'm asking for a lot and I may have to make some compromises in either quality or price. I've got some more homework and listening ahead and do appreciate all of the input.

I'm trying to avoid lifting. I'm 160lbs and can lift 80lbs ok but it gets me out of breath as bending cuts my air intake and lifting is work that requires more oxygen. The UCS1(118lbs) would be easier to move because it's taller than the TH-Mini(76lbs), Ksub(74lbs), and others and I could use a moving blanket to, lean it, lift one end, and slide it in but it still means moving 1 or 2 more pcs of equip. The cube subs would have to be lifted in and out. When it comes down to it I guess my options are to either use a taller sub like the UCS1 (and gasp some air) or use a 15" top and lose some bottom end. My goal is to reduce weight, lifting, and trips to and fro. The other night my 18yr old daughter came to see us play. She told me I looked gross and smelled bad! LOL...No kidding...it was something like 96 degrees when we were playing outside and I had to load/unload and set up the PA and my guitar gear in the hot sun. Now if I had her as a roadie it would be OK but She just graduated H.S. and will be going off to college. She was on the swim team and track team throwing discuss. She's strong...she can dead lift 300lbs. Ahhh...to be 18 again huh? !! LOL....Anyway...that's it...I have a unique situation to say the least and I'm trying to work around it.