UE IEM Frequency Response Graphs

Samuel Rees

Freshman
Jan 2, 2013
Washington, D.C.
Does anyone have the frequency response graphs for some Ultimate Ears IEMs? Looking for some info for an upcoming job using a variety of UE products. Specifically interested in the UE7 (what I have), the UE11, and the UE Reference monitors. To my disappointment, UE said it won't give out this information. This is disappointing to me as a customer. In the past I've found their service to be above and beyond great. Feel free to message me privately, or Samuel DOT rees AT gmail DOT com.

Re: UE IEM Frequency Response Graphs

My only comment is that in-ear speakers might require a less than "flat" measured profile in order to sound right to your skull processor. If you think about the effects that your ear canal has on the sound coming at you through the air you can imagine that the response of the in-ear speaker shouldn't be "flat". I think there were some graphs from Etymotic of the ER-4s (I have a set) showing the actual measured in-ear response compared to a target response that was supposed to be the ideal response that you would want (although I would think it would be different for different people). Perhaps UE don't want to distribute graphs that might not be understood by the majority of their customers?

UE IEM Frequency Response Graphs

I imagine that's true - if you look at JH audio's charts they look kinda wild. But I know they're good products. I assume JH knows a thing or two about IEM tuning. I really just want to compare them to one another within the brand like UE7 vs UE11 - I could care less how they look alone. For example - it's be nice to know if one has 6db more bass, or etc, for when operating one desk outputting to clients with a variety of products.

Last edited:

For example - it's be nice to know if one has 6db more bass, or etc, for when operating one desk outputting to clients with a variety of products.

And that's how you presented it to UE? I would think they would be able to help you in some way with that kind of comparison. But I've never actually had any dealing with UE. Just Westone (indirectly), Sensaphonics and Etymotic. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Drew, you are entirely correct about the effects of the canal. I'm sure an audiologist could tell you exactly what these effects are.

As such, measurements really just serve as a comparison.

That said though, even the flattest IEMs aren't flat at all compared to reference grade regular headphones. This is down to the limitations of tiny armature drivers. The main advantage of IEMs though is the isolation, which is why in the real world, they seem so impressive. But if you go and sit in a really quiet room and compare good headphones with IEMs, you will be less impressed :)

From a monitor engineering standpoint though, response graphs are useful to show up what you are and aren't hearing. For example, if you find you are cutting 4k on all of your vocal mics, but then discover that your IEMs have a peak in that area, you may want to EQ your PFL output and leave the vocal mics flat. Especially if your clients are on a variety of IEMs and therefore you want the most accurate translation.