Ul - csa

Tim McCulloch

Graduate Student
Jan 11, 2011
Wichita KS USA
I recall earlier discussion, perhaps over at PSW, about the differences between these "listing" agencies and applicability to portable equipment.

One venue we work in has updated their technical requirements for hook up to company switches and disconnects to include the phrase "... portable switchboards shall be of Listed construction..." They don't say whose "listing" is required.

So are UL and CSA interchangeable? What are the differences, both regulatory and practical?

Re: Ul - csa

CSA and UL are both Nationally Recognized Testing Labs (NRTLs), and will test to the same standards. However, their markings are different, partially due to their historical focus (CSA being Canadian, UL being US-based). For products in the US, the markings CSA uses can be found here. For products in Canada, the markings CSA uses can be found here.

Compare this with the marks that UL uses, which can be found here.

It's been a while since I dealt with that stuff but CSA is Canadian safety agency and UL is US. I believe there was also a combined CUL approval that was honored by both countries.

"Listed construction" sounds a little vague, could be listed by Guang Dong.

JR

PS: It's better now, back in the day you had to get separate safety approvals from each country in Europe, before you could sell there..

Also note that CSA has been changing in the past few years in that most testing is done to ficken cold operating temperatures (don't quote me but -40C?) due to the oil and gas in Northern Canada.

B 'I can't wear the new 5lb CSA hardhats without a masseuse and chiropractor everyday' Rad

CSA is the Canadian Standards Association. UL is Underwriters Laboratories. There is a company called Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (initials ULC). All these agencies set safety standards for various equipment and test to ensure the equipment conforms to the standards. All 3 agencies are internationally recognized and respected. Different industries and different jurisdictions require certification markings of some sort for any equipment used. By bearing the certification marking of one of the mentioned agencies the manufacturer has proved that its gear conforms to certain minimum safety standards. These organizations zealously protect their mark. There are unscrupulous manufacturers who will mark their product with counterfeit approval. Like any other industry, the safety standards industry is competitive. If an industry or jurisdiction insists on some specific approval, every manufacturer interested in supplying that market will be paying the approval agency $$.

As far as differences between CSA and UL, it depends on the actual standard being referenced. For portable equipment and panelboards, the differences in standards would be minimal. UL is so universally accepted that it's unlikely that a piece of equipment would bear a CSA marking and not a UL mark. To put it bluntly, the Canadian market is so small compared to the US market, I often think companies seek CSA approval as an afterthought.

There are CSA standards that could be considered more stringent than UL standards, but I doubt that would apply to portable consumer equipment