Update on Tilapia in my swimming pool

Re: Update on Tilapia in my swimming pool

I liuke to feed the birds in my yard.

First I got a hummingbird feeder for the nectar, and a thistle sock for the finches. And then I go sunflower seeds and millet for the cardinals and jays. And I got a suet feeder for the woodpeckers.

Being on the water, I grabbed a bushel basic of white perch for the ospreys and eagles.

I knew things were really out of hand when I was driving around Southern Maryland looking for roadkill deer to feed the vultures...

A fiend of mine in Moab UT used to have a koi pond.
Now he just has goldfish in it. A blue heron used to clean it out every winter.
After he downsized to goldfish, the pet store owner who sold him the fish admitted that the blue heron drove a lot of his business in town.

A fiend of mine in Moab UT used to have a koi pond.
Now he just has goldfish in it. A blue heron used to clean it out every winter.
After he downsized to goldfish, the pet store owner who sold him the fish admitted that the blue heron drove a lot of his business in town.

I see a lot of Koi ponds around these parts inside fences, with a fence top. We have a large hawk population. But they don't do well in the play-offs

Atlanta Kois??? Haven't heard of them, no wonder they're never in the playoffs :D~:-D~:grin:

I liuke to feed the birds in my yard.

First I got a hummingbird feeder for the nectar, and a thistle sock for the finches. And then I go sunflower seeds and millet for the cardinals and jays. And I got a suet feeder for the woodpeckers.

Being on the water, I grabbed a bushel basic of white perch for the ospreys and eagles.

I knew things were really out of hand when I was driving around Southern Maryland looking for roadkill deer to feed the vultures...

Update

I arrived home after class tonight and was immediately accosted by a gang of songbirds in leather jackets. There may have even been a switchblade or zip gun.

Advice

Once you start feeding don't miss more than a day

We have a small fish pond with goldfish, and some koi. We were cleaned out twice by a heron. Someone told us to put a fake bobble head owl out there . . . no luck. Then someone said to put a statue of a heron out there because they're territorial and will think it's some other heron's turf. (No dice. Hey it was on the Internet!)

Then someone suggested stringing a few threads of fishing line across the pond an inch or two above the water because the herons have trouble wading with the lines in the way. End of heron problem.

As always, YMMV since your herons might have learned to run hurdles. :)~:)~:smile:

- Al