Upgrade

Re: Upgrade

Arrange a time to listen to both- preferably side by side, and maybe with another speaker or two. In the end, that's almost always the best way to choose a speaker, IMO.

ADDITION:
I've gone and looked at the "specs" from peavey and the measurements for the community, and I'd go with the community just based off of those. Lower power consumption on the community, probably better pattern control too. I've never heard either of them, though. The biggest difference I can tell aside from quality is that the peavey is a 90x40 degree box, and the community is a 65x50 box.

Seriously, though, besides all of the specs that scream Community, the final decision should really be based on how they sound and perform in a real life situation and space.

FURTHER EDIT:
Once I get to digging, I start finding things: QW4 Real Specs I still think I'd prefer the Community.

Last edited:

nope. qw4's powered by RMX 5050's make screaming loud bar rigs.

What problem are you trying to solve? louder? more coverage? rider friendly?

The Peavey box wins below 110hz. Above that, there's no competition. I own 6 of the SLS960's. For a 1200 watt passive box, they absolutely scream. I've mixed on the QW4's, and while they are just fine, I consider them an MI box. The SLS960 is on par with the EAW KF650. It's a damn good sounding box, has output for days, and arrays well. I power mine with QSC PL6.0's. I've hardly ever seen past -20 on the amps, and I do a lot of loud gigs!

Evan

So I did buy them. What I like about them is I can put them on subs by myself. I dont need to bi amp them. They seem to be clearer than my qw4f.
evan hooked me up with his settings and it brought them to life. Communitys settings seemed Eh.
I wish I would have saved money and bought these to begin with.

and tim "What problem are you trying to solve? louder? more coverage? rider friendly?"
I wanted something louder. something that I could array. I loved the qw and I am keeping them (drum monitor).
I have no issues with rides. But as soon as I say I have a peavey rig everyone is quick to judge it.

That's why when I had my QW3's I changed the grills and added the foam backing so nobody could easily identify what box it was.
They magically sounded so much better to peoples ears....
It's amazing how many "pros" listen with their eyes---------------------------------------------

And why so many refuse to do a blind test-because they might find out they are wrong. And even when proven wrong-they will still defend their choice.

It's amazing how many "pros" listen with their eyes---------------------------------------------

And why so many refuse to do a blind test-because they might find out they are wrong. And even when proven wrong-they will still defend their choice.
but also why so many owners refuse to listen to unbiased outside listeners or the measurement systems we possess that clearly illustrate the problem.
Me: Your setup is clearly showing severe cancellation in the lower vocal range... System owner: Bleeehh...it has never been a problem before. p.s. I will take the PV system well set up over a higher $$ system poorly set up.

That's why when I had my QW3's I changed the grills and added the foam backing so nobody could easily identify what box it was.
They magically sounded so much better to peoples ears...
You think you had problems you should see the stink-eye my RCF 310A's over Danley TH-Mini's gets untill I crank it up :D~:-D~:grin:.