USW foam replacement

Stuart Høgg

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
We've got six Meyer USW subs in hire stock. They are the older, unpowered version. The foam is held onto the outside on the grilles by essentially a heavy-duty velcro strip. The velcro hooks into the foam, but what we're finding is that the foam snags easily on the flightcases and some of the velcro strips are coming off. It's now getting to the stage where they're beginning to look quite tatty.

What I'm thinking of doing is replacing the foam, and putting the new foam on the inside of the grilles. This solves the problem of the foam catching on cases, but I'm not sure if there will be any complications or any effect on the operation of the boxes. I don't imagine that the excursion of the drivers will be enough to cause any problems but I'm curious if there would be any other issues. Has anyone tried this kind of conversion themselves?

Re: USW foam replacement

We've got six Meyer USW subs in hire stock. They are the older, unpowered version. The foam is held onto the outside on the grilles by essentially a heavy-duty velcro strip. The velcro hooks into the foam, but what we're finding is that the foam snags easily on the flightcases and some of the velcro strips are coming off. It's now getting to the stage where they're beginning to look quite tatty.

What I'm thinking of doing is replacing the foam, and putting the new foam on the inside of the grilles. This solves the problem of the foam catching on cases, but I'm not sure if there will be any complications or any effect on the operation of the boxes. I don't imagine that the excursion of the drivers will be enough to cause any problems but I'm curious if there would be any other issues. Has anyone tried this kind of conversion themselves?

I have done this with some UPA's and used dabs of recone cement to hold the foam onto the steel grill. Haven't seen any ill effects and that was a few years back.