Value Wireless Mic system for Community Theater (AT3000 or EW100, etc)

Re: Value Wireless Mic system for Community Theater (AT3000 or EW100, etc)

That means that each individual frequency band is 42MHz wide (e.g. Sennheiser band A is from 516MHz to 558MHz and AT Band C is from 541.500 MHz to 566.375 MHz). Wider bandwidth allows for a broader range of frequencies from which to select. By keeping to as few bands as possible, you maintain better interchangeability between components and have better flexibility.

thanks. i actually thought this was what was being referred to. i just never heard the terminology before...

Like I said I voted a definite no on the plastic versions of the MiPro because of the durability issues I stated but the metal ones have been great.

The 24+ systems I had for 5+ years were all plastic. I would have gotten plastic again, but it seems the new wideband series is not available in plastic, so metal it is. Over the 5 years of 24 systems in heavy use I have had 2 transmitters die, and I don't think it had anything to do with the casing. The plastic ones cost about $200 so that was quite a deal.

+1 on what Peter said about antenna distribution system being a must if you get into multiple recievers. The MiPro 4 channel verson helps a bit but if you go over 8 channels I wouldn't want to be without one and I would also add the high gain antennas and spread them out a bit. Also if you are using in ears with them thats a topic for a whole new thread.

I have only just now ordered antenna distributors, exactly because MiPro's RF performance is fantastic. I've never needed it! (And that's for 24 channels, again). Now that I'm swapping out the whole lot, I've ordered antenna distribution as well, but mostly for luxury/convenience reasons, so I'll be more flexible regarding placement of the receivers (hiding them away in seperate rooms etc.). The MiPro RF-link just works anywhere though anything. I can always hear the actors in the dressing room, no matter where that is. In direct side-by-side situations I've been quite apalled at the competitions range compared to MiPro - especially Shure UHF-R. (In the case of Shure, I'm also very unimpressed with the audio quality, even of the UHF-R range which costs like 5-6 times MiPro).

One of the biggest bonuses for me with MiPro is the MU55LS lav mic. The quality, performance, durability (compared to DPA) and price is outstanding. I have a link to a video file with a choir recording, as I've written on the thread on PSW, for anyone interested in hearing what 16 MiPro-systems with $80 mics sound like.

I'll PM you the link, if anyone wants it - haven't got the choir's permission to put it out publicly.

Anyone know who the Canadian distributor is for Mipro? A google search shows Martek, but I don't believe that to be accurate for a couple reasons.

Maybe you just typed it wrong, but Martech is definitely the Canadian distributor. Although you have to find them at their ridiculously named website: www.drivingstrategicsales.com

Jason

Thanks Jason, I thought maybe their site was outdated since they still show as being Beyer distributors. YS is Beyer now but maybe Martech still is too.
Anyways thanks,
BJ

The 24+ systems I had for 5+ years were all plastic. I would have gotten plastic again, but it seems the new wideband series is not available in plastic, so metal it is. Over the 5 years of 24 systems in heavy use I have had 2 transmitters die, and I don't think it had anything to do with the casing. The plastic ones cost about $200 so that was quite a deal.

I have only just now ordered antenna distributors, exactly because MiPro's RF performance is fantastic. I've never needed it! (And that's for 24 channels, again). Now that I'm swapping out the whole lot, I've ordered antenna distribution as well, but mostly for luxury/convenience reasons, so I'll be more flexible regarding placement of the receivers (hiding them away in seperate rooms etc.). The MiPro RF-link just works anywhere though anything. I can always hear the actors in the dressing room, no matter where that is. In direct side-by-side situations I've been quite apalled at the competitions range compared to MiPro - especially Shure UHF-R. (In the case of Shure, I'm also very unimpressed with the audio quality, even of the UHF-R range which costs like 5-6 times MiPro).

One of the biggest bonuses for me with MiPro is the MU55LS lav mic. The quality, performance, durability (compared to DPA) and price is outstanding. I have a link to a video file with a choir recording, as I've written on the thread on PSW, for anyone interested in hearing what 16 MiPro-systems with $80 mics sound like.

I'll PM you the link, if anyone wants it - haven't got the choir's permission to put it out publicly.

Hi Frederik, IMHO the MiPro 4 channel receivers are some of the best out there at any price. I would be interested in a couple of the units you just traded in if they are still available. I have never had a need for more bandwith than they offer so please PM me with the information if that is a possibility.

As for the plastic bodypacks in a church environment its like anything else, if you take good care of them they will probabily be OK. In the rock and roll festival setting where I have mostly used mine I had a few issues. I had someone drop and then accidently step on one and that did not end up well, I now have a parts unit. I also have broken tabs on 2 of them on the battery covers (too bad the parts unit battery door is split in half....the tabs are still good)

As far as the antenna distro issue I have not ever needed one with the MiPro units because when I use multiples I have 1, 2, and 4 channel receivers to match up as needed and as you know there are only 2 antennas per receiver. I can have 8 transmitters with just 2 pair of antenna. My understanding is that the sennheiser units are all single channel so 8 receivers would require 16 antennas and that would be a mess.

I have no experience with the lower line Sennheiser units other than the time mentioned and I didn't pay attention to the model number. I am always into trying new things out, especially if it costs less money, but I have been so satisfied with the Mipro ACT707 system I have looked no further. I have a very strong dislike for low end wireless mics in general because the best one I have ever heard still sounded like absolute crap compared to a wired 58 or better including the one mentioned. Before I got my Beyerdynamic transmitters I would rent high end Sennheiser units when we had a rider issue. I liked them and did not have any problems at all with them other than the gain before feedback was not as high as the MiPros with some of the capsule choices so a little more monitor ringout or a little channel strip EQ was required. I usually run the MiPros with no EQ, only the low cut filter. I run all active biamped monitors (except when I use Kemper's Microwedges) that are reasonably flat and I have found on outside shows I am consistantly using NO EQ on the monitors when I am using all MiPro mics for vocals. Inside shows occasionally the same but usually only a cut or 2 per wedge.

If any SoundForums.net guys in the Metro Atlanta GA area want to give the ACT707 system a try or want to AB it against anything wireless or wired PM me and I will be glad to loan one out for a day. If any of you guys want to get together for a wireless shootout anytime in the future I would would be into it and can bring several models and various capsules from Beyerdynamic as well.

-Eric

Frederik,
5k is a nice thing. I use Senny, and find them to be very reliable. One suggestion on your theatre mics might be:

http://microphonemadness.com/

They make very affordable components. I purchased a dual ear hyper - (would recommend the upgrade to the headset frame) and will wire them in any configuration you desire.

good luck!

Steve

Hi Phil,
It looks like the Mipro system can still be had at a deal at least through January or until stock on hand runs out. I got a quote for 8 channels of the new 7 series wideband units for $3995 plus shipping with the metal handhelds and he will be getting back to me for the price with metal bodypacks and lav mics substituted. This is two 4 channel receivers so only 4 antennas used which means a distro unit should not be necessary. I really can not recommend these units highly enough and like I said you can pay a little more money and get them with the Beyerdynamic badge. I would try to get a few quotes from the other Mipro dealers out there as well. Good luck with your purchase and let all of us know what you ended up with and how well it works. I have no affiliation with any product or dealer just my .02

-Eric

I use the Sennheiser G3 units and am very happy with them. Plus one on the microphone madness mics. That combo is a great bang for the buck. Im not sure if it something you have to consider but I would take a guess and say the Sennheiser units might net you more if and when you go to re sell.

I use the Sennheiser G3 units and am very happy with them. Plus one on the microphone madness mics. That combo is a great bang for the buck. Im not sure if it something you have to consider but I would take a guess and say the Sennheiser units might net you more if and when you go to re sell.

I too suspect this would be the case, particularly if you sell them as a set. Unfortunately, the Sennys need antenna distribution, whereas the MiPro units do not. The Sennheisers do have far more industry acceptance though and are much more prevalent, a factor which may be important if you ever want to rent, borrow, or loan your units or get additional units from other people.

Last edited: