Video Scaler Power Supply Problem

Aaron McQueen

Freshman
Dec 23, 2011
At work (not where I do live sound) we have a conference room that has 2 video scalers (Composite/Component to RGBHV). The scalers are Extron DVS 304. Recently we noticed the DVD player in the room wasn't working. I tracked it down to both of these scalers weren't working. I pulled them from the rack and they will just not power on. They are out of warranty, so I opened one up. The internal power supply (switching, I think) is audibly oscillating when the AC power is plugged in. There is no switch and the fuse looks and tests out fine. Disconnecting the power supply from main board and there is no more oscillation. Now here's the weird part. If I disconnect the power supply, plug it into the wall, let it warm up for a minute and then reattach the power supply to the main board the unit powers on and stays on. My guess is some transient load that is causing the problem on start-up. Capacitor maybe?

So I could just send this to Extron to get fixed, but what fun would that be? Are there any electronics guys out there that have any ideas? I have access to an electronics shop with bench power supplies, scopes, soldering irons, etc. I personally have years of experience soldering, just not much electronic circuit theory experience. My first step was going to be to power the main board with a bench supply. The board needs +5V and +3.3V. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Video Scaler Power Supply Problem

I've seen this with power supplies that have been running too hot for too long. Typically one or more of the electrolytic caps will need to be replaced (they often are easy to identify by the bulging top).

That's very possible as the vent holes on this unit are on the top and were covered by the dvd player above in the rack. The rack is probably on 24/7 also. I don't see any obvious bulging caps. I guess I can start replacing them at the AC input and move down the line. I'll attach a pic.

At my old job we had probably 100 extron MLS304 systems with an identical or very similar power supply that would frequently fail in the same way you describe. Must have been a bad batch of PSU's or bad design. I think I must have replaced 20 of them.

Were they good after you replaced the power supply? If they last another year, I'll be happy.

Jameco tends to have *very* good prices on Meanwell power supplies. (although Mouser and Digikey are easier to find what you're looking for, and have a much better selection)

Thanks, yeah I saw them there too. I ended up getting them off ebay for $5.99ea. Hopefully not the ones from the same bad batch. We'll see.

Were they good after you replaced the power supply? If they last another year, I'll be happy.

They seemed to be. We had a lot of power supply issues on campus, not just with extron. Some of the crestron SMPS would die as well, same failure mode, just flickering about once a second. It tended to happen over the weekend, we would leave and on Monday find out there was a power outage in one of the buildings, and you could almost guarantee one room would be down due to PSU failure.