Vintage Community speaker system ID request.

Lee Brenkman

Junior
Jan 13, 2011
Oakland California USA
These are for sale on the SF Bay Area Craigs List.

I cannot remember what the model designation was for these 15 inch two ways and request enlightenment from my learned, and equally "vintage" colleagues.

Attachments

• community?.jpg
    community?.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 0
Re: Vintage Community speaker system ID request.

These are for sale on the SF Bay Area Craigs List.

I cannot remember what the model designation was for these 15 inch two ways and request enlightenment from my learned, and equally "vintage" colleagues.

I don't know what model they are but they were quite popular.. I used to see them with 1/2 dozen bands or so, back in the day

I have seen/used/owned and have old catalogs of a good bit of old Community gear-but have never seen those.

So I am of no help to you at all----------------------------------

I think we have a winner. The ones in my picture may be a later revision with a different porting configuration than the ones in Rob's cut sheet and with a HF attenuation knob on the front panel.

But everything else looks right.

thanks,
lee
The version of the PBL you posted is probably prior to the "bow tie" version in the Community cut sheet.

Looks like Community followed Emilar's lead in chopping off the "lips" of the PBL radial.
Made it possible to get the horn a bit closer to the woofer, and made for a better truck pack than round horns.
The PBL monitors were made in the same mid to late 1970s era as I recall.

First (and last) time I'd seen them was October 28 1978, Carlo sound brought them in for monitors to Doc Holiday's with the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, one of the last shows I did while still partners with Eclipse Concert Systems in Minnesota.
They had 1/6th octave White rotary knob EQs, which I thought was pretty cool, though the PBLs did not impress me much as floor monitors, came up past your knees. Looked like a pair of barrels in front of each performer.

Art

Attachments

• PBL versions.png
    PBL versions.png
    562.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Emilar Bow Tie.png
    Emilar Bow Tie.png
    146.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: