Vintage mic placement videos: piano

Re: Vintage mic placement videos: piano

I appreciate that they are micing in the instrument rather than just micing the strings and hammers. I'm guessing the mics weren't being used for reinforcement, however.

Dual-piano jazz is so much fun live.

I appreciate that they are micing in the instrument rather than just micing the strings and hammers. I'm guessing the mics weren't being used for reinforcement, however.

Dual-piano jazz is so much fun live.

I wasn't going to guess one way or the other. But the players of that era and on back certainly played to fairly good sized rooms with a lot of socializing going on, so I'd guess that they could easily handle a hall that size with people who came to do some serious, appreciative listening.

Sorry, I wasn't being critical with the reinforcement comment. I just meant that it appeared they could mic it that way without the usual GBF worries.

I'll wager the mics are for the video archiving. I'll see if I can dig out the history of the clip.

Edit:

I recall attending a Thelonius Monk Quartet performance in 1966 or '67. Probably five or six hundred in the audience. No sound system.

Last edited: