Virtual Console PC Based

Mike Ingle

Sep 10, 2023
Sumiton Alabama
I have an X32 Behringer compact that I’ve inherited for my church. I’m an old analogy guy and losed trying to route channel and and find aux etc…. I need FaceTime at the console but not able to be at the location. Is there a pc app that I can virtual use to help me train on the x32 functionality?

Install the Mixing Station app ( not free ) or the Behringer X32 app ( free from Music Tribe ) and connect to the console. Many things buried in menus and layers on the console surface are more accessible and analog like on the computer apps.

I have an X32 Behringer compact that I’ve inherited for my church. I’m an old analogy guy and losed trying to route channel and and find aux etc…. I need FaceTime at the console but not able to be at the location. Is there a pc app that I can virtual use to help me train on the x32 functionality?
Hi Mike-

While you were out... we changed some of the nomenclature because digital architecture isn't "fixed" in the same way analogue is.

Everything is a "mix". What we used to call AUX, foldback, monitor mixes, FX sends... they're all mixes now. Anything that groups inputs together or controls mixes is a "bus". Buses 1-8 might be configured as "sub masters or sub groups", 9-12 as foldback/wedge mixes, and 13-16 as EFX sends. VCAs are now DCAs and largely work the way you remember them.

On your Compact, channel routing: the default is physical (local) input 1 is channel 1, 2 is 2, etc. The Compact may have some input routing default to AES50 for the S16/32 or Midas DL16/32 digital snake boxes. This is easily changed. Likewise, output physical routing default is L/R on XLR 7 & 8, "mixes" 1-6 on their respective XLR-Ms.

What Behringer calls "AUX" inputs and output get that name because they do not have full channel strip or output bus processing available. The physical 1/4" TRS connections can be routed to Input Channels/virtual OUTPUTs pretty much as desired.

And that "virtual output" thing: there are 16 "outputs" that are not inherently, physically linked to the physical XLR-M connectors. If you download X32 Edit from Behringer, you'll see a 'cribbage board' that lets you easily see and soft-patch (something more difficult, for some reason, on the console surface) that matrix.

One more thing: "automation safe" or any "safe" option does not force the parameter recall - the opposite happens: "safe" prevents a scene or snippet recall from changing that parameter, or prevents a scene loaded from a USB stick from changing those parameters. Think of a situation where you have a different mic element on a wireless than typical, and you make some changes for gain, EQ, etc. You'd not want those to go away and be replaced by saved gain and EQ as you recall other scenes that use that input, so you'd "safe" them. When you return to the normal mic element, unsafe those parameters (or whole channel, however you did it) and recall. Your original settings are back.

The X32 has been around for 10+ years and there area ton of YooToob vids, many quite old. We're now on firmware 4.08 (I think) and if your mixer is on anything under 4.02 I'd update it after saving the current show file to USB stick. What has changed over time mostly relates to routing physical inputs and AES50 inputs in less ridged ways (originally was blocks of 8 channels/inputs because of internal hardware architecture), but eventually Berry found a way for "user input patch" capability that creates a work around the block of 8 limitation inside the desk.

Have fun, good luck. Let us know if you get stuck on something.

Reactions: Jeff Babcock
Hi Mike-

While you were out... we changed some of the nomenclature because digital architecture isn't "fixed" in the same way analogue is.

Everything is a "mix". What we used to call AUX, foldback, monitor mixes, FX sends... they're all mixes now. Anything that groups inputs together or controls mixes is a "bus". Buses 1-8 might be configured as "sub masters or sub groups", 9-12 as foldback/wedge mixes, and 13-16 as EFX sends. VCAs are now DCAs and largely work the way you remember them.

On your Compact, channel routing: the default is physical (local) input 1 is channel 1, 2 is 2, etc. The Compact may have some input routing default to AES50 for the S16/32 or Midas DL16/32 digital snake boxes. This is easily changed. Likewise, output physical routing default is L/R on XLR 7 & 8, "mixes" 1-6 on their respective XLR-Ms.

What Behringer calls "AUX" inputs and output get that name because they do not have full channel strip or output bus processing available. The physical 1/4" TRS connections can be routed to Input Channels/virtual OUTPUTs pretty much as desired.

And that "virtual output" thing: there are 16 "outputs" that are not inherently, physically linked to the physical XLR-M connectors. If you download X32 Edit from Behringer, you'll see a 'cribbage board' that lets you easily see and soft-patch (something more difficult, for some reason, on the console surface) that matrix.

One more thing: "automation safe" or any "safe" option does not force the parameter recall - the opposite happens: "safe" prevents a scene or snippet recall from changing that parameter, or prevents a scene loaded from a USB stick from changing those parameters. Think of a situation where you have a different mic element on a wireless than typical, and you make some changes for gain, EQ, etc. You'd not want those to go away and be replaced by saved gain and EQ as you recall other scenes that use that input, so you'd "safe" them. When you return to the normal mic element, unsafe those parameters (or whole channel, however you did it) and recall. Your original settings are back.

The X32 has been around for 10+ years and there area ton of YooToob vids, many quite old. We're now on firmware 4.08 (I think) and if your mixer is on anything under 4.02 I'd update it after saving the current show file to USB stick. What has changed over time mostly relates to routing physical inputs and AES50 inputs in less ridged ways (originally was blocks of 8 channels/inputs because of internal hardware architecture), but eventually Berry found a way for "user input patch" capability that creates a work around the block of 8 limitation inside the desk.

Have fun, good luck. Let us know if you get stuck on something.
Is it possible by using the x32 pc app to configure the board and save and import to the console without a network connection. Via usb?

Install the Mixing Station app ( not free ) or the Behringer X32 app ( free from Music Tribe ) and connect to the console. Many things buried in menus and layers on the console surface are more accessible and analog like on the computer apps.
Is it possible to save the confirmation to a usb drive and import it to the console without a network connection?