VTC subs compare to Danleys?

Re: VTC subs compare to Danleys?

Hi Todd, Ivan,

I'll admit up front I know little about horn loaded subs but isn't it better to have minimal changes in direction? Or are the wavelengths so long that it doesn't matter?

Thanks,
It depends on how high you want the loudspeaker to operate.

As with all things audio-once you start to think in terms of wavelength-all sorts of things start to become clearer.

Since the sub wavelengths are so long (as the intended usage of the cabinet in question) it really doesn't matter going around corners.

If you were talking about higher freq (even a couple of hundred Hz,then yes-you don't want bends -or corners to go around. A straight horn is much better.

Luckily a horn for those higher freq is also shorter-which works out well. :)

The main reason bass horns are bent/folded etc is to get the long length to fit inside a manageable size.

I've mixed on the VTC subs.
They play loud. 4 play REALLY loud!
What impressed me the most was this cabinet can sound like a lot of different sub cabinets.
It's all about how you voice it. It's pretty versatile.
Out of the box with no eq you might not be that impressed.
Dial out what you don't like and I was able to get the sound I wanted pretty quick.

Jim Brooks
casper Band

Since the sub wavelengths are so long (as the intended usage of the cabinet in question) it really doesn't matter going around corners.

If you were talking about higher freq (even a couple of hundred Hz,then yes-you don't want bends -or corners to go around. A straight horn is much better.

Luckily a horn for those higher freq is also shorter-which works out well. :)
I guess you would not approve of a "layered combiner" device like the one below ;^).

High frequencies are much like light, they reflect at the angle of incidence.
That said, when directed through channels about 1/4 the width of the length of the upper wavelength they make it out largely unscathed.

Low frequencies down in what we generally call the "sub" range of 100 Hz and lower behave more like fluid, the laminar flow is hardly affected by turns as long as the cross sectional area is not reduced.

Attachments

• US20120328140 A1 patent.png
    US20120328140 A1 patent.png
    161.5 KB · Views: 2

I guess you would not approve of a "layered combiner" device like the one below ;^).

That said, when directed through channels about 1/4 the width of the length of the upper wavelength they make it out largely unscathed.

Low frequencies down in what we generally call the "sub" range of 100 Hz and lower behave more like fluid, the laminar flow is hardly affected by turns as long as the cross sectional area is not reduced.
As with everything-it depends. And in this case it depends on the size of the passage way vs the size of the wavelength.

The patent art looks vaguely Danley-ish.

Until high velocities, which is a fact of life with all modern subwoofer drivers. There are plenty of older designs that see little benefit from modern drivers because they cannot use all the excursion available.