What are good choices for mains that stand alone well and array nicely?

Re: What are good choices for mains that stand alone well and array nicely?

Hi Jeff,

I'd like my brass ring to be 1000 people outdoors, rock band volume. Which I think I could easily do, or exceed, with the Danley or EAW's you mentioned. Both boxes I've considered at one time or another, when not looking too hard at price tags.

Have you used the SH46 in single situations? Do you feel that the 40* pattern drops off too quickly for bar sized rooms? I'd say 60' wide rooms with 30' wide stages. Although that's just an example, because obviously each room is a little different.

Nate

Hi Nate,

The pattern control on the SH46's is very good. You can rotate them and use them as a 60x40 box but it might require fabricating your own bracket or using audio wood to pull off (since the cabinet is trapezoidal in shape and does not come with a pole mount). We've used it this way before, and it works as a SOS on steroids, but requires a heavy duty crank up stand and two or three guys to put on/take off.

Aspect Wide as mentioned by Jason and Steve is also another good option. I've heard their Aspect rig too and definitely thought it sounded good.

You're going to find that making the jump from bars to 1000+ people outdoors is a very expensive move. It's also difficult to have one rig that can do both things well (as you're finding out). You'll have to decide if carrying around the larger/more expensive boxes is worth it for your (assuming here) lower paying bar gigs vs. your larger outdoor events. From an ROI point of view, that may not make the most sense.

If I did bar/combat audio, I'd probably be looking at something like FBT HiMaxx60A's over Yorkville LS801PB's. Maybe not the best sounding rig, but it will get loud, sounds FAR better than most other rigs and would have a super easy load-in/out, great value, etc. It could also be setup/taken down by one person.

Jeff