What cheap and not-toy keyboard for beginner?

Sebastian Ktos

May 20, 2022
Poland
I want to try to compose a song and I would like to do it on the keyboard / piano keyboard (and not through a tracker - this is the only way I know from the Amiga / Protracker times) and I only have 100 USD. What equipment should I use? It should cooperate with the computer, which means MIDI interface, am I thinking correctly? Maybe USB has replaced MIDI today? Overall, I would not like to crash into a toy for children, but I would also not like a clear MIDI / USB keyboard-only device, because I think some goodies/features (some faders etc.) can help stimulate creativity.

PS. I'm thinking of using Reaper DAW program.

I want to try to compose a song and I would like to do it on the keyboard / piano keyboard (and not through a tracker - this is the only way I know from the Amiga / Protracker times) and I only have 100 USD. What equipment should I use? It should cooperate with the computer, which means MIDI interface, am I thinking correctly? Maybe USB has replaced MIDI today? Overall, I would not like to crash into a toy for children, but I would also not like a clear MIDI / USB keyboard-only device, because I think some goodies/features (some faders etc.) can help stimulate creativity.

PS. I'm thinking of using Reaper DAW program.
Sebastion,

You posted questions, rather than a product review in the "Product Reviews" of two different forums now.

MIDI is not replaced by USB, the protocol can sent over a USB connector instead of a 5 Pin MIDI cable DIN connector.
Anyway, I'm no keyboard expert, but the Arturia MiniLab costs $99.00, has good velocity sensitivity, and works with any USB DAW. It sends midi information from the keyboard, 16 real time rotary controllers, and a dozen switches. I've used mine with Reaper, Logic Pro and Garage band.

Art