What do you think of this Genny?

Re: What do you think of this Genny?

1800 watts continuous, 2.5 hrs runtime at full load. Does not appear to be UL/ETL/etc. listed.

The owners manual and website are pretty short on specifics, other than it is a floating neutral design - i.e. not bonded to ground (likely similar to the Honda eu2000i design). They didn't comment on the output waveform shape, however this paragraph is listed as a disclaimer:

NOTICE:

[FONT=Helvetica 55 Roman,Helvetica 55 Roman][FONT=Helvetica 55 Roman,Helvetica 55 Roman][FONT=Helvetica 55 Roman,Helvetica 55 Roman]Operating voltage and frequency requirement of all electronic equipment should be checked prior to plugging them into this generator. Damage may result if the equipment is not designed to operate within a +/- 10% voltage variation, and +/- 3 hz frequency variation from the generator name plate ratings. To avoid damage, always have an additional load plugged into the generator if solid state equipment (such as a television set) is used. A power line conditioner is recommended for some solid state applications.

I'd lean towards the Honda.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Can I hijack this thread for a hot-second?

I am in a similar predicament. I've got an event coming up where they'll be providing power via a genny. They've give me a choice between two Hondas. Which should I lean towards?

Honda EB5000 Portable Industrial 5000 Watt Generator

or

Honda EM5000S Deluxe 5000 Watt Portable Generator

Sorry for the hijack. Don't hate me, like all the people posting in the sm58 thread do.

You're not going to like this, but....

NEITHER ONE

Neither of these has the inverter, which is what you need for sound gear. These are for power tools, motors, etc.

What you DO want is this:

Honda EM5000iS Deluxe Inverter 5000 Watt Portable Generator

The 5000iS has the "i" in the model #, standing for "inverter".

Sorry.

Don't be sorry, Dick!

Thanks! You may yet save me a bajillion headaches.

Liam.....

Go to the Honda website and look for their explanation of the different wave forms produced by the various models. There are four different graphs. The only pure sine wave graph is for the "i" models. I've had an EE friend 'scope my Honda "i" generators and our results agreed with what Honda shows: pure, smooth sine wave. He even commented that the Honda "i" trace was cleaner than the power coming out of his wall outlets. He showed me....and he was right.

Best of luck.

If you can swing the price difference I would recommend the Honda. I just bought a Honda EU6500iS for powering small rigs and delays. It's a Honda, what can you say. The engineering and construction are superb. It starts instantly, runs VERY quiet, outputs clean, rock solid frequency and voltage. If there is any way to justify the price of a Honda EU-iS series, do it. Buy once, cry once.