What is it really like in Las Vegas?

Tom Bourke

Freshman
Apr 18, 2013
I have been running a small production company here in WI catering mostly to weddings. 90% of my biz is basic lighting. In March the wife and I did one of our driving trips and went to Las Vegas. We spent a week with friends in Henderson. We fell in love with the area. So much so that the wife has started applying for jobs out there. I have gigs booked here threw September and plan on heading out after that.

So, those of you who have spent some real time in southern Nevada, what is it really like? We don't gamble so not worried about that. I expect there will be many more opportunities for some one like me than in back woods central Wisconsin. How hard is it to get work? I have not decided what I want to do once I am there. My back ground includes computers (linux administration), theater, live sound, video, theater and other production. I am hoping to getaway from too much heavy lifting. I don't have back problems yet, but I would like to keep it that way. I have worked every thing from A level national acts as a stage hand with IATSE local 470 (as stringer) to school productions.

We are looking for a life change, and right now. Vegas looks like it. I am just curious what I am getting my self into? I am trying to figure out what to do with my existing sound rig. Small, mostly analog late 90's era equipment. 32 ch Soundcraft and DBX FOH. And a pile of RGB LEDs and Par56. I may sell it all before I come out or may sell it once there. May stay doing production work or may try to get a 9 to 5 gig doing computer work. I do have a nice single camera video rig, Panasonic AGAC130a, Adobe CS6. Perfect for doing promos, industrials and commercials. I am not really considering starting a new company out there.

I appreciate any thoughts, comments, or suggestions.
Thank you.
Tom

Re: What is it really like in Las Vegas?

Not familiar with Vegas but have lived in big cities. There is more work but even fiercer competition for well paying gigs. I would imagine you could get paid well as a free lance tech out there.

Hey Tom,
I moved here about 12 years ago, as was stated there is a lot of competition for all shows out here, not just with the local companies but with outside companies too (LA, Phoenix, etc).

There is plenty of work for freelancers and right now property prices are good.

If you came in March you might be lulled into believing the weather is nice, we have a short spring and autumn period when its very nice, Winters are reasonably mild, BUT the summer can be ferocious! 115+ temps! (It's a dry kind of heat :) )

hope this helps

ferrit
english man in Vegas

Sounds OK to me so far. We were out in Vegas midsummer a few years ago. Night time was very nice ;) I am curios, do the freelancers each form a one person company or do you have a hundred W2's at the end of the year?

Sounds OK to me so far. We were out in Vegas midsummer a few years ago. Night time was very nice ;) I am curios, do the freelancers each form a one person company or do you have a hundred W2's at the end of the year?

Hey Tom,
Nevada is a great place to form an LLC, second only to Rhode Island. A lot of Companies have their corporate HQ's registered here (PO boxes)
there's no state income tax.

ferrit

Hey Tom,
I moved here about 12 years ago, as was stated there is a lot of competition for all shows out here, not just with the local companies but with outside companies too (LA, Phoenix, etc).

There is plenty of work for freelancers and right now property prices are good.

If you came in March you might be lulled into believing the weather is nice, we have a short spring and autumn period when its very nice, Winters are reasonably mild, BUT the summer can be ferocious! 115+ temps! (It's a dry kind of heat :) )

hope this helps

ferrit
english man in Vegas
In many cases I do prefer it to the high humidity we have in the South. But there ARE LIMITS to the "It's a dry heat" thing. Once it gets in the 115 range-it starts to such the air out of our lungs and you wish the wind would STOP blowing (we LIKE it to blow in the south)-because it feels like a hair dryer on you.

But you don't sweat-at least much.

I remember at one trade show in Vegas and I don't think temp ever got below 90F-even at 3 in the morning.

It was quite nice in the surrounding mountains that I visited.

A dangerous assumption. You sweat plenty, it just evaporates fast out there. This is one reason why traditional clothing in the desert is many layers of light muslin type fabrics-insulation from the heat, and keeps the sweat around longer on your body to help cool it.

John

Not trying to be argumentative, but it's the moisture leaving the body that cools you.

Hence, dry heat kills you from dehydration, humid heat kills you from a heat stroke.

Typical layered and covering "desert attire" like what they wear in the Middle East or North Africa works because it surrounds you with a temperate layer of air, and it covers you, so less sunburn.

I remember travelling the Australian outback: The outermost slice of bread was always toast straight out of the plastic bag :D

Well, we are here in vegas. She got a good job in her field and I have been getting some good responce from other production people in the area. I fly back out tonight becasue of gigs I have back in WI. So far we love it out here.