what other forums do you read?

Re: what other forums do you read?

Skip the aquarium, go for a pond!
icon_biggrin.gif

I do have a small coy pond(?) near my front steps. This past spring/summer, it picked up some algae and tadpoles, which later grew into frogs. My girlfriend wanted me to clean it out, but I refused, saying the frogs would eat the bumble bees that are normally attracted to the nearby bushes. It turned out that I was right. Those frogs did a great job of eating all the bees. I hope they survive the winter.

They should, my old ponds that I had for 9-years had about a dozen frogs that were just always there!

My new pond (pictured) has not had any frogs appear yet.....maybe this year after the snow melts!

P8270141.jpg

Usual progression for me:

1. Gosh that XYZ Festool is 2.5X the cost of mainstream brands. You've got to be kidding me!?

2. Read about what they can do on FestoolOwnersGroup.com

3. Buy one to ''test'' it

4. Become ruined forever for that particular tool

5. Sell non-Festool tool that I just replaced to get it out of the shop

6. Anxiously watch FestoolOwnersGroup for the next way-too-expensive-but-must-have-it-anyway tool.

The track saw has changed my life. I also have the Domino, which is just as revolutionary, just not used quite as often in my usual projects. I've got a T15+3 drill, and am saving for a vac and Rotex.
Sounds like fun. With me it's a matter of how often I will be using something. If it's one-off or once in a blue moon I'll settle for modest or entry-level. Something that get used all the time requires quality. I have lost all tolerance for disposable tools; I discarded every Skil power tool I have ever owned (first cutting off the power cord or otherwise mutilating the thing to dissuade dumpster diving) due to reliability, performance or safety issues--and replaced them with at least mid-level or tradesman-grade brands like DeWalt, Milwaukee, Porter-Cable, Bosch, Jonsered (yeah, I even had a Skil chainsaw in the past! What was I thinking!) which work well when I have a project. Not ready for the super-premium. OK, I admit it, once in a while I'll spring for the high-end brand. Here's one of the forums I'm on. http://www.slkworld.com/ (Now, a car is something you use everyday.)
icon_cool.gif

Sounds like fun. With me it's a matter of how often I will be using something. If it's one-off or once in a blue moon I'll settle for modest or entry-level. Something that get used all the time requires quality. I have lost all tolerance for disposable tools;

I do a lot more home improvement/woodworking than I do sound, so for me tools tend to pay for themselves in either improved final quality, or an easier process to get to that point.

Case in point - I have a $4500 SawStop table saw that is a wonderful tool, unless you need to cut 4' X 8' or larger sheet goods by yourself. Enter the Festool tracksaw. One man processing of sheet goods is a piece of cake now, and actually a pretty good value compared to the cost of a real sheet saw or the shop space required for a huge sliding table saw.

I'm with you for some things, though - I'm still using Chinese tooling in my Bridgeport because I'm not proficient enough to not destroy tools occasionally, so replacing a $5 end mill hurts a lot less than a $35 end mill.

Looks like a very nice car! I have Bimmer dreams, but not sure that will ever happen with my other expensive hobbies.

Skip the aquarium, go for a pond!
icon_biggrin.gif

I do have a small coy pond(?) near my front steps. This past spring/summer, it picked up some algae and tadpoles, which later grew into frogs. My girlfriend wanted me to clean it out, but I refused, saying the frogs would eat the bumble bees that are normally attracted to the nearby bushes. It turned out that I was right. Those frogs did a great job of eating all the bees. I hope they survive the winter.

Not to be contrary but I think I'll side with your girlfriend, for aesthetic and environmental reasons..

Bees, are actually crucial to ''our'' ecosystem for germinating plants, like the crops we eat, and there have been several reported die offs of bee colonies that have me concerned. Frogs, eat insects but yawn can also be a nuisance if there are enough of them... I recall trying to enjoy some calm evening hours in my friends pool area, when the local frogs decided to have their nightly croak-off.. My friend also has a goldfish pond, fed by the runoff from his RO well waste water and ground sourced heat pump outlet, but the frogs populated another pool, lower downstream from the fish, but not far enough away to be out of ear shot... I thought fish eat tadpoles and baby frogs. You must be feeding them too much.

JR

PS: I always wanted to connect a pitch shifter to a mic and return any frog croaks, with a lower pitch and louder croak, so the frog shuts up, thinking there is a bigger badder frog around..... because there is.

i was recently banned for ''because i feel like it'' for 14 days....

its all about the

á´￾á´Žá´‰á´￾ᴑᴆᴇ ᴃᵎᵗᵓᶣᵊᶳ

Bees, are actually crucial to ''our'' ecosystem for germinating plants, like the crops we eat, and there have been several reported die offs of bee colonies that have me concerned. Frogs, eat insects but yawn can also be a nuisance if there are enough of them...

I of course know that bees are important, but the bushes near our front door attract hundreds of bees for a few weeks each year. It can be aggravating running past them to get in and out! I know I could simply move the bushes, but I figure frogs that eat the bees are a ''green pesticide.''
icon_wink.gif