What's common practice for theatre foldback?

Lisa Lane-Collins

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I've been told just give them piano. My cast of wireless bud mic adorned singers want to hear their voices. What's common practice? Don't want to tell them no way if that's something you'd get on a professional production.

Re: What's common practice for theatre foldback?

I've been told just give them piano. My cast of wireless bud mic adorned singers want to hear their voices. What's common practice? Don't want to tell them no way if that's something you'd get on a professional production.

Just piano .... "bud mic adorned singers" + foldback = feedback.

If they want some foldback then you would need something like this http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=299&item=24470#specifications and maybe some IEMs.

Hi Lisa,

As Peter said. I've never come across a theatre production where vocals were provided in the monitors, aside from when there's a requirement for an offstage singing area and they need to follow vocal cues.

i have sometimes had to put more than piano in the mix though, when singers have needed to pitch against a violin, flute line, etc.

The orchestra probably will want vocals in their monitors though - unless it's only a small venue.

I've only ever put vocals in backstage or orchestra monitors. You're asking for trouble if you give the vocalists themselves. IF you must, bring along a good system processor and prepare to chop up your monitor before getting any decent GBF.

Piano and any pitch or rhythm cuing from other instruments. Often changes to foldback are programmed into the mixer's scene automation.

Putting vocals in the monitors will insure that singers are behind the beat (waiting to hear themselves with the delay of distance between the speakers and actors). Because of the late arrival the actors will then ask for more SPL. You will play this "dog chasing his tail" game until you have feedback and the director thinks you are incompetent. JUST SAY NO.

I'm sure there will be replies about the West End or Broadway productions that do put vox into the foldback, but for traditional musicals its very rare. At the amateur and school level, you'll be ahead to not do this.

Just piano .... "bud mic adorned singers" + foldback = feedback.

If they want some foldback then you would need something like this http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=299&item=24470#specifications and maybe some IEMs.

Just to add a little more – in very simple terms without going into the mathematics, if you think in terms of feedback beginning to occur when the microphone begins to hear the fold back speaker at the same level as singers’voice. At this point no amount of EQing will help.

When you have an omnidirectional lapel mic in the hair line that will happen at about the same volume the singer can hear their own voice. In other words the foldback won’t do much to help the singer.
Occasionally rock and roll singers do some theatre work andexpect fold back; they struggle without it. In these situations IEMs are the go.

They got a bit, and I've been slowly sneaking it out ever since :)

First show came and went and I hear my mix was ball park *beams* I can hear room for improvement but that's what practice is for right?

Fully intend to explain about how, in waiting for the sound of their voices through the foldback they will end up behind the beat and then ask for more foldback and exacerbate the problem next time it comes up :-D

Fully intend to explain about how, in waiting for the sound of their voices through the foldback they will end up behind the beat and then ask for more foldback and exacerbate the problem next time it comes up :-D

They won't believe you, but then ask why the orchestra watches the conductor's baton for timing cues. It's because if the players in the 60 ft wide pit have to *listen* for their cues, the players on the ends will be late. No matter what. So players and singers train themselves to follow the baton (and woe be unto those that do not). This is why I consider it a fallacy when the actors ask for vox foldback; it's recognized on Broadway and West End, where analog video monitors provide the "conductor shot" because digital processing makes the image late... and that the designers are providing a conductor shot, rather than foldback, for the speed-of-sound-in-air issue.

Your cast doesn't need foldback, they need a music director with a whip and chair, or at least a monocle, riding crop, and beret. ;)