What's The Donald's Problem?

Re: What's The Donald's Problem?

Seems his microphone was 'popping':

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-rips-son-b-025535531.html

Any theories?

Has anyone supplied for him?

The mic was popping all through the event, but here is the fun part: https://youtu.be/ORWGJbs6C4M?t=46m12s

I had EV PolarChoice mics do that to me once. Ex-world leader was about a foot closer to the mic than the setup was designed for (they were seated, he grabbed the mic and pulled it right to his lips) and the pops were uncontrollable. He was actually clipping the preamp in the mic itself. Nothing I could do but grin and bear it for an hour.

I did get paid, and retained the client.

That was the last gig with the EVs, though. I use Earthworks FM720HCs now.

The mic was popping all through the event, but here is the fun part: https://youtu.be/ORWGJbs6C4M?t=46m12s

I had EV PolarChoice mics do that to me once. Ex-world leader was about a foot closer to the mic than the setup was designed for (they were seated, he grabbed the mic and pulled it right to his lips) and the pops were uncontrollable. He was actually clipping the preamp in the mic itself. Nothing I could do but grin and bear it for an hour.

I did get paid, and retained the client.

That was the last gig with the EVs, though. I use Earthworks FM720HCs now.

Had bought an EV podium mic for the lectern I built a couple of years ago, and ditched it for the same reason. Switched to standard boom arm mounted on the top, and just use an SM58 with HPF and compression for the explosions...

Best regards,

John

If you listen to the sound, yeah, the quality is pretty horrible. As the sound provider, it's quite an embarrassment to produce a product like that. It could be that the mic was defective, or it could be that it was just not up to the task of reproducing the speakers voice. In either case, for an event of such caliber, it's surprising that a backup plan wasn't in place. i.e., the mic isn't working, so lets put a spare mic on a stand next to the podium so the speech can go on.

... for an event of such caliber, it's surprising that a backup plan wasn't in place. i.e., the mic isn't working, so lets put a spare mic on a stand next to the podium so the speech can go on.

Bingo! Everything hanging on one mic. Murphy's law.

BTW- DJT has a history of not paying vendors. (e.g. Wolman Rink NYC). Nice to see him remain consistent.

Politicos, especially national, are notorious for dragging out/skirting payment. A.B.C. Anything But Cash.

Seasoned soundco's know this and demand payment up front before show goes on. Maybe that is why a 3rd-tier provider got the gig? Wiser co's refused?

Anyway, DJT team had no intention of returning to Pensacola ever, why extend any credit?

PS- Why don't candidates' well-paid advance teams travel with a Shure 'Presidents' kit? Nothing looks more "Presidential".

Last edited:

Eating a gooseneck mic will usually result in that, especially if you're already a powerful talker.

I share Milt's experience, though with the same mic that Trump was using, the venerable MX418. They're fine at a distance, but the preamp overloads too easily for a loud, close talker.

I'd love to try an Earthworks gooseneck sometime...maybe I'll just buy one if I find a good deal.

- Jordan Wolf

Seasoned soundco's know this and demand payment up front before show goes on. Maybe that is why a 3rd-tier provider got the gig? Wiser co's refused?
I would not call Sound Associates a "3rd tier" provider.

The mic is what Trumps "people" speced. So THEY should be to blame if they spec something that he does not know how to use.

Maybe they got fired-------

I am surprised he does not know how to speak into one of those mics by now. You gotta be like a foot away. Also that must have been tempting for the guy at the controls to just cut him off.

I am surprised he does not know how to speak into one of those mics by now. .
So when was the last time you saw a rapper that knew how to hold a mic (at least to get the best sound)?

Maybe Mr Trump "likes the look and sound" of when he gets up on that mic (after all, the mic model was speced by HIS people).

Some people actually "like" the distortion of a mic/mic pre. They feel it gives them "presence". At least according to a number of southern preachers I have worked with.

They feel it gives them "control" over the people and they like the idea that it "makes them sound like they are using a sound system".

Whatever.

It could well be personality. Strong Choleric personality types, like myself, like to be one step ahead, a bit louder, a bit closer, more aggressive, etc than other "mere mortals". That plus what appears to be people that aren't audio veterans (him and his people) can easily lead to sub-par results.

So when was the last time you saw a rapper that knew how to hold a mic (at least to get the best sound)?

Maybe Mr Trump "likes the look and sound" of when he gets up on that mic (after all, the mic model was speced by HIS people).

Some people actually "like" the distortion of a mic/mic pre. They feel it gives them "presence". At least according to a number of southern preachers I have worked with.

They feel it gives them "control" over the people and they like the idea that it "makes them sound like they are using a sound system".

Whatever.

He clearly did not like the sound of it based on the video but he is known for his lying so you might be on to something.

He clearly did not like the sound of it based on the video but he is known for his lying so you might be on to something.
From what I heard, it was just the popping, not the distortion he was talking about.

And we are all "assuming" that the popping was the mic.

The popping could have been something else in the system.

Like other things-without more details, we are just guessing as to what the real problem was.

I would not call Sound Associates a "3rd tier" provider.

The mic is what Trumps "people" speced. So THEY should be to blame if they spec something that he does not know how to use.

Maybe they got fired-------

THE Sound Associates? NY? I know them. The "Single Mic Theory" is way off-script for them.

I am formally chastened and apologetic...if it was them on gig.

Last edited:

THE Sound Associates? NY? I know them. The "Single Mic Theory" is way off-script for them.

I am formally chastened and apologetic...if it was them on gig.
There are Sound Associates offices all over the place. They have a number of different offices

I don't know exactly what office was the provider for this.

There are Sound Associates offices all over the place. They have a number of different offices

I don't know exactly what office was the provider for this.

Wasn't the SA in new York.

My former employer just provided for DJT early this week in Madison, MS. I was hauled out of retirement to drive the desk. (actually, I was made a stupid good offer, too good to refuse...)

His audio team were carrying brand new SM57s with the President package. However, we had better luck with the Beyer M201s that they were also carrying (this was the first event these pics were used). They sounded really good and handled DJT's vocal, near and far (with windscreens, of course). I expressed my concern about the 201s being hypercardioid, but his team assured me that he would stay on point with the pics. Thankfully, he did.

Everything went well and according to plan. Everyone, including DJT was pleasant, polite, and appreciative of the efforts. It really wasn't a big deal at all to do.

Last edited: