Whats wrong with this picture?

Jason Lavoie

Junior
Jan 13, 2011
Ottawa
This was on the front page of a site for a large professional organization.
I assume it's a stock photo staged by a photographer, otherwise it could be a short, error-prone AGM

Attachments

• oops.png
    oops.png
    383.3 KB · Views: 0
Re: Whats wrong with this picture?

The XLR is barely plugged in.

At least there is an XLR plug. I've seen many without a cable.

Of course back when I was in a wedding band (several decades ago) and we used to make promo videos I would use the Sm58s and plug a radio shack FXLR to 1/4" plug into them-so it would look like they were using wireless mics. Back then all you had was really cheap (Nasty-before Nady) and really expensive units.

NOTHING like the assortment available today.

A few weeks ago I was supplying some supplemental gear to a touring act, who had their own monitor console. We dropped a standard quad box for him to plug his 2 racks into. A few minutes later the monitor engineer tells us the quad box is dead. So we go through about 5 minutes of checking the breaker, metering the outlet. Finally I walk over to the quadbox where he has plugged in his cords AND PUSH THEM ALL THE WAY INTO THE OUTLET. Everything comes to life as it should. He had just gently placed the prongs of not one, but two cords into the quadbox and couldn't figure why he had no power.

I had tech'd a Berlin show years ago with another person who was relatively new. I did the power tap stuff and setup FOH, stacked the main, etc. The other person was in charge of wiring up monitor world and connecting the mults. When it came time for the band's ME to start dialing stuff up, he was getting no signals at all out of the splitter from any mic input. Started checking patches and realized nothing was coming through the splitter to the monitor desk. Turns out the new person barely seated the Whirlwind W4 into the 90º elbow and in a cocked fashion, but managed to get the ring to lock anyway. A quick reseat fixed it and we were lucky there was no pin damage to the MASS connector.

At least there is an XLR plug. I've seen many without a cable.

Of course back when I was in a wedding band (several decades ago) and we used to make promo videos I would use the Sm58s and plug a radio shack FXLR to 1/4" plug into them-so it would look like they were using wireless mics. Back then all you had was really cheap (Nasty-before Nady) and really expensive units.

NOTHING like the assortment available today.
I had one guy telling me that he needed a little bit more of his vox in his monitor when he sang into his "wireless" sm58. :lol:

Of course back when I was in a wedding band (several decades ago) and we used to make promo videos I would use the Sm58s and plug a radio shack FXLR to 1/4" plug into them-so it would look like they were using wireless mics.

That's what they used to do on the Donny & Marie Osmond show - A3F connector with a little piece of wire sticking out. The brag from Donny years later was that they got so good at lip-syncing that people kept calling asking about their wireless and where it could be bought.

That's what they used to do on the Donny & Marie Osmond show - A3F connector with a little piece of wire sticking out. The brag from Donny years later was that they got so good at lip-syncing that people kept calling asking about their wireless and where it could be bought.
They weren't that good at lip syncing but audiences were easily fooled.

It wasn't until years later that some performers were caught lip syncing and it was a scandal for a while.

JR

They weren't that good at lip syncing but audiences were easily fooled.

It wasn't until years later that some performers were caught lip syncing and it was a scandal for a while.

JR

There's a big difference between miming on TV and miming at a live performance that people bought tickets for.

Donnie & Marie were hardly the first. Most TV variety shows in the '60s and '70s made the rock bands mime. Real live performances of rock bands on TV were the exception, not the rule. As for "getting caught", there was nothing to catch, we knew all along. I could tell the difference between real performances and lip sync when I was seven years old (1964), and I certainly wasn't alone in that.

There are rumors that the Dave Clark Five were miming at live shows in 1964/65. Supposedly they were on a package bus tour of England with The Hollies and some other acts, and had two tape decks running playback during the show - one tape of their music, and one of girls screaming, which they pumped through the PA. Hollies bassist Eric Haydock allegedly liked to sneak backstage during the Clark set and mess with the tapes, which reportedly resulted in some scenes of Dave Clark screaming threats on the bus, Buddy Rich/Paul Anka-style. Some of this may be in Graham Nash's book.

There's a big difference between miming on TV and miming at a live performance that people bought tickets for.

Donnie & Marie were hardly the first. Most TV variety shows in the '60s and '70s made the rock bands mime. Real live performances of rock bands on TV were the exception, not the rule. As for "getting caught", there was nothing to catch, we knew all along. I could tell the difference between real performances and lip sync when I was seven years old (1964), and I certainly wasn't alone in that.

There are rumors that the Dave Clark Five were miming at live shows in 1964/65. Supposedly they were on a package bus tour of England with The Hollies and some other acts, and had two tape decks running playback during the show - one tape of their music, and one of girls screaming, which they pumped through the PA. Hollies bassist Eric Haydock allegedly liked to sneak backstage during the Clark set and mess with the tapes, which reportedly resulted in some scenes of Dave Clark screaming threats on the bus, Buddy Rich/Paul Anka-style. Some of this may be in Graham Nash's book.

Check out the easy beats doing "Friday on my mind" on Australian tv. Its on YouTube.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD