When it's too loud.....

Re: When it's too loud.....

It depends. If it's actually too loud, as in, louder than you're comfortable with/the venue demands/the boss told you to turn it down, then I'd turn it down as much as I could while keeping the stage wash in balance. In many cases, ultimate ''quiet'' level is going to be determined by the drums.

If it's not actually too loud, and the person telling you to turn it down is some old lady sitting in front of the stack, I'd kindly ask her to move, or pretend to turn something down until they say ''OK, thank you''.

Whatever you have to do to keep them happy, do it, even if they're a random crowd member; you never know who will hire you for your next gig.

It depends. If it's actually too loud, as in, louder than you're comfortable with/the venue demands/the boss told you to turn it down, then I'd turn it down as much as I could while keeping the stage wash in balance. In many cases, ultimate ''quiet'' level is going to be determined by the drums.

If it's not actually too loud, and the person telling you to turn it down is some old lady sitting in front of the stack, I'd kindly ask her to move, or pretend to turn something down until they say ''OK, thank you''.

Whatever you have to do to keep them happy, do it, even if they're a random crowd member; you never know who will hire you for your next gig.

Sure, I got that part.

I'm talking about if the stage volume is loud but under control, and it's the PA that is really too loud for the venue.

Sure, I got that part.

I'm talking about if the stage volume is loud but under control, and it's the PA that is really too loud for the venue.

Then turn it down?

Agree - It depends ( I've done the ''pretend'' or temporary pull-down as well
icon_twisted.gif
).

The last time I heard ITL; It was being used arbitrarily - The music favored by the complainer was fine - anything else was too loud ( unfortunately as part of the paying committee, he had influence )

Sure, I got that part.

Then turn it down?

Refer to OP.

Sure, I got that part.

Then turn it down?

Refer to OP.

Well, provided you're mixing something, you can't just kill the master fader, because chances are there is some component of stage wash in your mix. As stated, you can lower the mix (keeping your mix together) only so far until the stage wash takes over.

So, turn everything down. Depending how you mix, you could do it with subgroups or channel faders. Almost never the master fader, unless you're so far above the wash that it won't matter.

Hope I got it this time!

Sure, I got that part.

Then turn it down?

Refer to OP.

Well, provided you're mixing something, you can't just kill the master fader, because chances are there is some component of stage wash in your mix. As stated, you can lower the mix (keeping your mix together) only so far until the stage wash takes over.

So, turn everything down. Depending how you mix, you could do it with subgroups or channel faders. Almost never the master fader, unless you're so far above the wash that it won't matter.

Hope I got it this time!

Sorry, I guess I could have made my question a little more clear.

If you're mixing a band and everything is crusing along OK, sound is good, kick is kicking, vocals are on top, instruments are there, but it's just too loud for the place. Would you typicaly lower the masters to get the proper volume or bring down some/all the channel faders?

I seem to loose the ''quality'' of the sound when I bring down the channel faders. If I bring down the masters I find myself having to push the indiviual channels faders too high for lead solos or to get the vocals where they need to be.

Thanks

I think you need to fly a bunch of us in to do an on-site evaluation. This weekend would be good for me as it is supposed to be below zero here........

Leaving aside PA vs backline, gain is gain. It doesn't matter whether you bring down channels, groups, or masters. I think part of getting a good gain structure for a show is being able to move the faders through their ranges. That is why they put them there.

Part of what I do during soundcheck is see where various levels are on the board so I have an idea of where most of the show will be, where the push at the end will be, and where I have extra if I need it.

Depends on the situation.

As written here before, it depends on the stage and some other circumstances.

When there is some time to reach the lower level (means: no police officer with handcuffs or a person directly paying me with steam out of the ears):
mixing backwards, identifying what may be giving the mix its edge (percieved as ''too loud''), turning this channel down or turning the EQ band down. Sometimes it's some range in the master EQ that can go down a bit.

Otherwise:
- pulling the master fader down significantly and mixing forward after that, bringing up mix elements that are lacking after this.
or
- pulling down groups or faders of instruments that are loud on stage already, reverting to a more ''stage dependent'' mix.

Either way, in most cases the mix has to be ''found'' again after or within the change.

I do the same as Evan, and typically start the show at a level thats comfortable for the room patrons and owner, and bring it up as the night progresses. I always respond professionally to client requests. And I agree with Christians last line about finding the mix when adjustments have been made.