When will my warehouse be "self aware"?

drew gandy

Junior
Jul 17, 2011
Chicago
I'm looking forward to the day when you can unload the truck into the shop and the system will automatically know what came back and therefore also what didn't come back. I haven't been following RFID closely but I did just happen upon this product that was launched via kickstarter. https://www.wetaginc.com/
Anybody care to speculate on the future of auto-inventory?

*Ok, it might be a misleading thread title but a warehouse stores things, and since I'm talking about a warehouse that knows what it's got in it, I think it's kind of "self aware".

Re: When will my warehouse be "self aware"?

So, Tom, are you saying you might not want a "self aware" warehouse?

Wouldn't it be cool if your mixing console would say "I'll be back" when it leaves the shop for a gig?

So, Tom, are you saying you might not want a "self aware" warehouse?

Wouldn't it be cool if your mixing console would say "I'll be back" when it leaves the shop for a gig?

"Open the loading dock doors.:

"I'm sorry, Drew, I'm afraid I can't do that."

Last edited:

The technology already exits on a smaller scale:

http://www.thingmagic.com/index.php/applications-overview/toollink-by-dewalt

You are only limited by the range of current RFID transmitters and receivers which is minimal.

We always talked about doing this and setting up everything with RFID tags then being able to run a road case through a scanner to get a detailed inventory. Talking about it is as far as we got!

An a-ware ware house?

On a related note, two friends were out hiking at night, when a full moon appeared. One of the two turned into a werewolf, frightening the other. "Dude, you're a werewolf!" the second said. The werewolf replied, "I am aware."

Nice. It seems like it's getting closer to being possible for reasonable prices.

Large retailers have been pursuing this for several years and they have a few kinks still. One retailer had to turn off their anti-theft system because it interfered with the RFID readers and when the shop-lifters figured out the tags were turned off they came back in force. (I think shoplifting may be organized crime, just a different organization).

JR

When your warehouse develops a craving for a particular kind of equipment, then it's self aware. :razz:

While it won't turn your warehouse into Skynet, RentalPoint supports RFID. As noted in their Wiki, RFID is dumb; it doesn't know whether something's going in the door, or out of it, and is not 100% reliable, which means some user control is still required.