Where in the universe?

Jay Barracato

Graduate Student
Jan 11, 2011
Solomons MD
Should I start numbering the venue lights?

On occasion I have been asked for our addresses because a band wants to run our installed lights off their controller.

It seems to me their preprogrammed stuff likely has low addresses.

Would it be an effective practice just to set mine high?

Sent from my XT1254

Re: Where in the universe?

Should I start numbering the venue lights?

On occasion I have been asked for our addresses because a band wants to run our installed lights off their controller.

It seems to me their preprogrammed stuff likely has low addresses.

Would it be an effective practice just to set mine high?

Sent from my XT1254

Start at 0 for all dimming, after dimming all house or work lighting, and then if you have two universes, consider starting over for intelligent lighting. Otherwise patch consecutively by fixture type and position. They can always change their patch if they want it to work with the installed gear - or if they're serious another universe.

This is going to be a band bringing 2-6 movers and wanting to automate your washes. We have a magic 260. Once programmed I don't need to worry about addresses. Everything we will ever have will fit in half a universe. It seems I can start the addresses at 257 and never interfere with the bands movers.

It makes more sense to me to run our board with one universe for the washes and another board with a second universe for the movers by I want to meet a band requiring a particular board with a minimum of addressing fuss.

Sent from my XT1254

Just start at channel 1. And put all of your lights on one universe if possible.

As a production manager that tours with an LD and lighting package I can tell you that thats where we want them to start.

My LD has 8 universes to run the whole show with. Our stuff takes 2 of those and the house gear will be run off of the remaining 6 universes. So starting at channel 1 is appreciated.

This is going to be a band bringing 2-6 movers and wanting to automate your washes. We have a magic 260. Once programmed I don't need to worry about addresses. Everything we will ever have will fit in half a universe. It seems I can start the addresses at 257 and never interfere with the bands movers.

It makes more sense to me to run our board with one universe for the washes and another board with a second universe for the movers by I want to meet a band requiring a particular board with a minimum of addressing fuss.

Sent from my XT1254

Every pro-level board I've run across will happily support multiple universes, so if that's the class of bands you are working with, starting at 1 will make everybody's life easier.

If you're worried about being able to support low-end consoles with only a single universe, putting the lights in the high channels can help, but don't forget you'll also need a DMX splitter or some extra cabling.

Thanks Tim and Rob. That is basically what I need to know. I never really paid attention to the lighting on big shows before. Splitter is on order, but it really was a moot point as the magic 260 is only 1/2 a universe and by time I get our stuff in it it will be maxed out.

Sent from my XT1254