Which Amp for this Sub?

Ranvir Jha

Freshman
Mar 25, 2011
Hello, I am going to be installing dual JBL ASB6128s, for the amp I am deciding between the Crown Macrotech 12000i and the Lab Gruppen FP14000. I was wondering about the practical differences I would see between them regarding the sound itself or the power/SPL provided. Will these differences be noticeable or very minor? For fixed install, usage will be all sorts of electronic music (trance,techno,dance,industrial etc).

I have heard that at this price point the differences are minimal but I thought I would ask before making my final purchase.

Much thanks!

Re: Which Amp for this Sub?

Neither amp has any DSP, not sure why there would be tunings for them. I checked anyway and there wasn't any tunings available for either.

Thanks for your input Silas, so then I am correct then to assume the differences in sound and SPL will not be noticeable? I have been thinking along the lines you mentioned as well but wanted to make sure I had the whole story.

Bennett, Isn't the MacroTech also from Harman? Or were you referring to the DSP capabilities of the I-Tech 12000HD? I was referring to the MacroTech i Series but they do not have any DSP but they do have some RMS/Peak Limiters.

I did not want any amps with built in processing which is why I kept the I-Techs out of the list. I included the Macro Tech i Series because that is basically an I-Tech without DSP. They are cheaper to boot. Appreciate the feedback on the HD series, I assume it carries over to the Macros.

Be aware that if you get presets from JBL you must use them with a Harman group DSP like the DR4800 or the built in iTech/iTech HD processing. The advantage of the iTech is you know your limiters are set properly, which is a Big Deal™.

Be aware that if you get presets from JBL you must use them with a Harman group DSP like the DR4800 or the built in iTech/iTech HD processing. The advantage of the iTech is you know your limiters are set properly, which is a Big Deal™.

Bennett, the MacroTech i series has approximately the same limiters, just no DSP. I'm not quite sure how they implement those limiters without a digital signal path, but Crown is known for being inventive.

Ranvir- I think it was Langston Holland that did some pretty intense measurements of amplifiers, and the IT12000 and PLM14000 were both at the top of the list. If you are concerned about subtle sound differences, you should probably listen to them before you buy, although at sub frequencies the differences probably aren't going to be that noticeable.

Hi Silas, Langston Holland's tests were the reason I ask. I have also read a lot of posts across the internet that speak of the differences between these top tier amps. I am sure there is a lot of bias in those posts but the comments in Langston's review made me curious. He specifically mentions Trance/Electronica and continuous output for the Powersoft while emphasizing the peak capability of the Lab. These drove me to ask. I do understand that it is always best to hear the amps myself before purchase but this will not be possible.

It is certainly true that most recorded music, particularly electronic music tends to be compressed. I would wager the crest factor is about 4-5db at most. It made me think about the Powersoft and I did inquire and where I am the Powersoft is simply much more expensive than both the Crown or the Lab and furthermore comes with only a 1 year warranty, opposed to Labs 6 or Crowns 3. I was hesitant to go with Powersofts because of the large price difference and poor warranty, it may be better suited but I don't think it is leagues ahead of the other two to warrant a significant price premium and a warranty disadvantage.

I do not understand all the measurements on that page as I am not as technically advanced yet so I was hoping someone would be kind enough to spell it out some more.

My understanding was for peaks take the Lab, for continuous power take the Powersoft and the Crown is a good all round amp. I was looking to see which between the two (Crown,Lab) would be more suitable for my usage.

Bennett, As Silas said the Macros have the same limiters as the I-techs from what I have gathered.