Which lighting console do you recommend?

Eric Cagle

Senior
Jan 20, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Sound guy shopping for a lighting console. What are you guys using for shows with moving heads and LED pars etc? I am looking for something along the lines of the Avolites Pearl or a Jands product. I want a road worthy pro board that most lighting guys will be familar with. Current rig is 16 movers, 40 RGB LED, 40k conventional (which I seldom use but it is multi pin pre rigged and I am not ready to take it to the scrap yard yet). I have several small Elation and NSI boards that we have been using. I also have the Elation Compu 1024EC dongle and software which is pretty easy to use for the intelligent lighting. I am not a lighting guy and don't play one on tv so any suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited:
Re: Which lighting console do you recommend?

I use the Avolites Pearl 2000. Once you get used to it, it's a pretty powerful piece of gear, and quite flexible. We did a show with it last month with 32 movers and a ton of conventional. We used this alongside an ETC ion system. The pearl blew away the ion for moving head control.

Jands Vista is powerful and extremely easy to use, especially if coming from a video or Mac background.

Thanks for all the info guys. Used the Grand MA last night or rather watched it being used. Very very cool. Most likely way out of my price range. I am sure any of the above choices will be good. I am still leaning toward a used Pearl or one of the Hogs for budget reasons. I had worried a little about the Hog being discontinued and the parts and repair situation. The Martin M2go looks really nice as well, and also is current production.