will i be fine with a 2 ohm load or should i stay at 4 ohms

Jimmy Hardin

Junior
Jan 29, 2013
hey i have got a gig and i need a second or 3rd opinion on this . I have a behringer ep4000 and i am wanting to run a 2 ohm load per side it does say that i can it will put me at 1250 watts per side. if i am correct that will be about 312 1/2 watts to each cab. ok will i be safe running it on 2 ohms for a speaking engagement. no bands just talking and playing some christmas music through a laptop or mp3 player. a majority or the cabinets are 8 ohm cabs and are rated at 400 to 800 watts and two are rated at 500 watts . I do try to keep my levels at 0 on everything. will i be safe using this like this?

Re: will i be fine with a 2 ohm load or should i stay at 4 ohms

Spoken word is a very low duty cycle waveform, as long as the music stays at a low level and you run with a hipass at 100 hz or so for the music you should be fine. Feedback would be the issue. Sustained feedback would put maximum stress on the amp.

You're probably fine as far as loading goes, but it sounds like you're tossing 8 boxes of various types on the amplifier, which may lead to some interesting results. There may be a better approach...

yeah, They are. Some are different there is only 2 that are different wattage. I have never run 2 ohms before. But if my calculations are right. Correct me if i am wrong cause i might be. The amp at a 2 ohm load is running at 1250 per side. ok to divide that up thats 312 1/2 watts per box? thats what i have always been taught. Thats why i am asking ya'll cause some on here might have done it before. This is my first time to run any of my amps at 2 ohms. :)

In general I advise against running 2 ohms except for limp-along mode after an amp fails mid gig... If you start out running 2 ohms you have no where to go.

JR

In general I advise against running 2 ohms except for limp-along mode after an amp fails mid gig... If you start out running 2 ohms you have no where to go.

JR

yeah, This actually really is a last resort thing,. I am planning on running 4 ohms to be safe , but i wanted to look at all my options.just to be on the safe side of things.

... but i wanted to look at all my options.just to be on the safe side of things.

One option would be to run fewer cabinets. Why do you feel you need 4 per side for a spoken word event?

The more cabinets (especially if they aren't matched), the more complicated getting a good sound in any particular room can be.

Dave

I am having to run them so it can be heard for 2 square blocks . I have the stuff to do it with I just wanted to find other options. I have done a event similar to this for 4 or 5 years now just looking for different ways to hook everything up

Sent from my iPhone

I am having to run them so it can be heard for 2 square blocks . I have the stuff to do it with I just wanted to find other options. I have done a event similar to this for 4 or 5 years now just looking for different ways to hook everything up

Sent from my iPhone
Now things start to change.

Since this is over a large area-that means that you will be running long speaker cables.

The long cable runs will mean increased resistance-which will increase the total impedance load for each speaker.

Of course how much depends on the length of the cable and the size of the cable.

So the actual load on the amp could be higher.

Also remember that just because the speakers are "rated" at 8 ohms DOES NOT mean that is the load that they actually present to the amp.

It could be higher or lower-depends on the particular model.

It would be BEST if you look at the actual IMPEDANCE CURVE of each of the speakers and DO NOT rely on the "simple" 8 ohm number. NO MATTER what the spec sheet says.

Remember that 8 is just a "common" number, and NOT the actual impedance across the operating freq range of the speaker.

But it sounds like your biggest issue-since you are using a number of different model speakers- is going to be level and eq adjustments-since they will likely be different.

Thanks guys I am at the gig and have everything hooked up and running and going good at 4 ohms on the speakers. Thanks for the opinions guys I am gonna look back on this when I get where I can really study what y'all have said. Thanks again .

Sent from my iPhone