Wireless mic receivers: at the board, or on stage?

Rob Gow

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2011
Which do you prefer, and why. I usually have them on stage, and then they go into the snake. I figure the shorter distance between the mic and receiver, the better.

Thoughts? Preferences?

Re: Wireless mic receivers: at the board, or on stage?

It depends on your definition of close. Being too close might give you a near proximity effect on recievers working on other channels and therefor reduces antenna gain.

If I can then I preferer the reciever at where the sound engineer sits. This way you can monitor signal levels and battery status before shit happens. Having the recievers out of sight makes it hard to troubleshoot a problem...

Which do you prefer, and why. I usually have them on stage, and then they go into the snake. I figure the shorter distance between the mic and receiver, the better.
To a point, yes. You certainly don't want them too close, either.

If there is a backstage area, I'll tend to keep the receivers there and monitor them via a closed network - this also makes setup, coordination between units, and quick changes/additions easier.

Typically, if I'm using 4 receivers or less, and I can get unobstructed line-of-sight, I'm fine with keeping the receivers at FOH - they don't take up that much space, and they'll still perform well at a good distance (75-85ft.ft., as my personal preference) since waterbags…I mean, the attendees…aren't sucking up the RF.

If I can't get a clear line-of-sight, I'll do what I can to get them within 50ft of the performance area/stage (using whip antennas, not LPDAs and/or combiners - which are not always spec'd/provided for some reason). Once the talent sits down on a stool, all best are off as to how the RF will be trying to make it through their pelvis AND the audience.

Monitor world if there is one with a tech. Front of house if I am running solo. I have never had a problem either way in a long time and I use all wireless vocals almost every show. I occasionally had an issue or two with my old Shure 700 MHz system but not the first problem in over 100 shows with the Mipro units. Never had a problem either way with the newer top of the line Sennheiser a Shure units either. I make sure I have line-of-sight either way. At FOH on top of a tall effects rack always works well.