WOW, a spammer follows the rules!

John Fruits

Sophomore
Oct 15, 2012
The post in reference will probably be gone soon but there is a post in the Lighting forum from roseweber (from Shenzen) who would like your MasterCard numbers so you can get a coupon for a water powered led lighted shower head. What is weird is that she used what seems a real name, so how come all the "long time lurkers-first time posters" don't get it.

Re: WOW, a spammer follows the rules!

The post in reference will probably be gone soon but there is a post in the Lighting forum from roseweber (from Shenzen) who would like your MasterCard numbers so you can get a coupon for a water powered led lighted shower head. What is weird is that she used what seems a real name, so how come all the "long time lurkers-first time posters" don't get it.

They're clearly not as interested in having their posts read. I thought the bright yellow banner at the top of the page was obvious enough, or that the field for user name only says "Real Name".

No offence intended to any recent "long time lurker first time posters" who have recently made the jump, but I've noticed that on both this forum and several others dedicated (with varying degrees of success) to the same general subject matter, that such folk disproportionately represent the classic "I am in the process of buying / just bought xyz kit, now please validate my decision?" presented as "should I buy xyz?".

It still doesn't properly explain the remarkable failure of so many to follow such simple and clear rules - but represents a pattern I'm sure many others have noticed!

Sent from my GT-I8160 2

Long time lurker, first time poster.
If some of these people read as well as they write, then I can see how they missed the 'fine print' about real names.
This is not aimed at non-English speakers, they have my respect at all times no matter how strangely some things come across.

Long time lurker, first time poster.
If some of these people read as well as they write, then I can see how they missed the 'fine print' about real names.
This is not aimed at non-English speakers, they have my respect at all times no matter how strangely some things come across.

Yep - it says a lot when the standard of English from those for whom it is a 2nd or 3rd language is so often as good as, if not better than those for whom it it allegedly their native tongue!

Sent from my GT-I8160 2

Yep - it says a lot when the standard of English from those for whom it is a 2nd or 3rd language is so often as good as, if not better than those for whom it it allegedly their native tongue!

In many ways it is easier for us, innit? We don't carry with us the slang and the colloquial expressions, and we tend to associate words more by meaning and translation than what they sound like. While particularly americans are prone to use the wrong word (break/brake, of/off etc.), that seldom distorts the meaning. Us foreigners sometimes use wrong words based on the wrong translation of homonyms and the like, or using words that sound similar to a word in our language, completely screwing up the meaning of a sentence.

In many ways it is easier for us, innit? We don't carry with us the slang and the colloquial expressions, and we tend to associate words more by meaning and translation than what they sound like. While particularly americans are prone to use the wrong word (break/brake, of/off etc.), that seldom distorts the meaning. Us foreigners sometimes use wrong words based on the wrong translation of homonyms and the like, or using words that sound similar to a word in our language, completely screwing up the meaning of a sentence.

Got to show respect for someone able to use the word "homonyms" in a post, both correctly and without any contrivance!

I salute your perspicacious verbosity ;-)

Sent from my GT-I8160 2