[WTB] WTB: JBL 2440 2" exit compression driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Cameron

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
Have a blown old 2440 laying around on a shelf? Now's your chance to unload it. Looking for a 2440, don't need a diaphragm.

Re: WTB: JBL 2440 2" exit compression driver

If you just need the driver body the 2440 and 2441 are the same, that may help broaden your search. The difference was the diaphragm the 2440 originally had a half roll surround aluminum diaphragm and 2441 had the newer diamond pleated surround aluminum diaphragm. Both drivers will work with the new titanium JBL diaphragms, new original 2440 diaphragms are not to be found and good used ones go for big dollars to the audiophile DIY market. As of a few years ago 2441 original aluminum diaphragms could still be ordered but were well over twice the cost of the titanium diaphragms.

Look over used ones carefully for shifted throats, when the Alnico magnet starts getting weak combined with some rough handling can shift the magnet and crack the throat.
If you do find some available that need to shipped make they do not pack them loose just in a box full of peanuts!!!!

Thanks Mike, I thought the 2441 was the same but wasn't positive, thought the phase plug might be slightly different. I'm using the Radian diaphragms in these. I have one driver that might have a warped mating surface for the diaphragm. Or I just had bad luck with a used replacement diaphragm. In any case, I'd like to have a spare so I don't have to drop the damn boxes from the fly to pull out the driver just have have a problem, have to put them back up, and drop them again, etc. I'd like to have a spare complete driver to just bolt on and go.

Thanks,
Greg

Thanks Mike, I thought the 2441 was the same but wasn't positive, thought the phase plug might be slightly different. I'm using the Radian diaphragms in these. I have one driver that might have a warped mating surface for the diaphragm. Or I just had bad luck with a used replacement diaphragm. In any case, I'd like to have a spare so I don't have to drop the damn boxes from the fly to pull out the driver just have have a problem, have to put them back up, and drop them again, etc. I'd like to have a spare complete driver to just bolt on and go.

Thanks,
Greg

Hey Greg,
You might try doing a little google searching and see if the 2440 was ever sold as an OEM under the Dukane label. You might luck out on Ebay getting a DuKane branded one since there are probably fewer people searching for that model. The Dukane stuff came with either a Phonelic or Aluminum diaphragm, so as long as the body of the driver is the same as the 2440 you should be all set. Good luck!

I tracked down a good condition 2441 on fleaBay for $219 + $25. A good deal for sure. Thanks all for the help!

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.