WTF

Rob Ottaviano

Junior
Jan 12, 2011
Philly
Sad to say this was done by my IATSE brothers and sisters in Vegas! WTF were they thinking!!!

Attachments

• 1782104_10201979281416141_1244874475_n.jpg
    1782104_10201979281416141_1244874475_n.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0
Re: WTF

Kind of hard to tell from the picture exactly what's going on. But if you look closely, you can see that the truss is most definitely not being supported by the middle lifts. And there MAY be hoists attached to the truss, but with the number of cables and lines in the picture, you can't see where they are attached.

I'm guessing the multiple lifts are being used because they were available and this gets the rig hung faster.

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like on the truss in the foreground, the motors are "upside down*" with the motors being attached to the truss and the chains coming down to whatever the load below it is going to be. I'm sure someone here can enlighten me why, but I've seen it done before on some larger installations. So if that's the case, the scissor lifts probably aren't supporting the truss, it's probably a case of everyone hauled a motor in their basket and is attaching it to the truss. And of course, if this is a hotel you know damn well they had that ballroom booked back to back so probably needed to get that rig in there in a hurry, hence multiple lifts.

*which is really right side up the way it's usually done in industrial applications.

That is Vegas, the Palazzo hotel. If that is a current picture I happen to know the show currently loading in, I have never seen them doing anything unsafe in past years, but I am not there this year.

Well, I mean...it IS 720 after all. There's a reason why all the big production shows in Vegas despise them.

Despise them? Or just don’t hire union stagehands and performers? Have you played Vegas? I stopped touring just before The Smith Center opened but I’ve heard nothing but great things. I’ve worked with several excellent 720 members.

As for the photo, it certainly looks strange but I don’t think we can see enough draw any conclusions.