X/M32 Show Management...

Sep 12, 2012
SW Ontario
I know has been discussed ad nauseam in the MegaThread[SUP]tm[/SUP], but I am wondering if there have been any advances in X/M series scene management for theatre. I am mixing a Gala later this month and I'm dreading the thought of dealing with MGs implementation of scenes again.

3rd party apps are ok, assuming they have a track record of stability.

Re: X/M32 Show Management...

I know has been discussed ad nauseam in the MegaThread[SUP]tm[/SUP], but I am wondering if there have been any advances in X/M series scene management for theatre. I am mixing a Gala later this month and I'm dreading the thought of dealing with MGs implementation of scenes again.

3rd party apps are ok, assuming they have a track record of stability.

Chris Hubbard's Palladium software has been adapted for X32. Discussion of this on the theater sound Google Group. IIRC Kevin Maxwell got it started; he posts here and at PSW also.

Re: X/M32 Show Management...

Musical theater cue management.

I save a lot of what I write so this is a cut and paste from some of those writings.

I found a better way to do musical theater then rely on the built in scene and cue management functions in these mixers. I use Palladium by http://chsounddesign.com/

I have gotten to the point that I refuse to do musicals without a digital mixer and programming the show to do cue recall.

I discovered this program last year, it uses mixer files specific to each mixer and since one didn’t exist at the time I configured the mixer file to work with the X32 and the M32. CH Sound Design has changed that mixer file to include OSC capabilities. I use the mute group buttons to act as the “GO” and “BACK” buttons to recall the cues from Palladium. The physical location of these Buttons is very convenient to use as the “GO” and “BACK” buttons.

And a few of the strong points about Palladium is it isn’t a snapshot cue system, it recalls changes. And there isn’t a separate store step, how you leave a cue is how it will be the next time you recall it. It makes for a very fast workflow. Also it handles 1000 cues.

There are also 2 other programs that work with Palladium. Moves and MicPlot. Moves is free and allows you to enter all of the information for the show. You then import that information into MicPlot and configure your wireless assignments and then import the results into Palladium and your show is written. If you use the method I am referring to you can get real close to being able to run the rehearsals with the cues as you need them for the show. I have also discovered a new technique for numbering cues. I use the script page numbers and do a decimal point for each additional cue on a page after the first one.

In the past I have had someone at the school write out a cue spreadsheet and we then enter the cues. This time I had them enter the information into moves after I did the initial setup and then I used MicPlot to import the cues into Palladium. It went very well. I then have the person who wrote the cues sitting next to me and calling them.

If you have the time download the demo and give it a try. I was not paid to develop these things for Palladium I just was looking for a way to do what I do using the X32 or the M32 for musical and discovered Palladium.

It is a very powerful program and there is a learning curve but it depends on how complicated you want to make it as to how steep the learning curve is. I am willing to help anyone I can get up to speed as quickly as possible using these programs.