X32 Channel Inserts

Larry OToole

Oct 22, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
Can anyone help me please? Is it possible to, and then how do I, use an external channel strip e.g. dbx 286S as a classic INSERT in a channel? For example, can I take a vocal and route the pre-fade send (at the INSERT point shown dotted in the block diagram) to an Aux send and then route the Aux return to the SAME channel pre-fade INSERT point (on the return side)? The option of returning the channel strip to the Aux Return is painful.
Thanks, Larry.

It's been awhile but this is what I remember. Go to Routing _ Out _ Aux out and assign the Aux channel to Insert you want to use. In this case I'm using Aux 1 as a insert that is going to be inserted in Channel 1. Now when on channel 1 Aux 1 is assigned to Insert Position Fx. Now Aux 1 Out is going to your device and Aux 1 "In" is going back to the channel. When you push the Pre Button it will toggle between the 2 insert locations available. Not sure if that is what you need or not. Again I haven't had to do this in a very long time but hope this gets you where you need to be.

Douglas R. Allen

Attachments

• Aux Out 1.JPG
    Aux Out 1.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 11
  • 1 Aux Channel 1.JPG
    1 Aux Channel 1.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 10
It's been awhile but this is what I remember. Go to Routing _ Out _ Aux out and assign the Aux channel to Insert you want to use. In this case I'm using Aux 1 as a insert that is going to be inserted in Channel 1. Now when on channel 1 Aux 1 is assigned to Insert Position Fx. Now Aux 1 Out is going to your device and Aux 1 "In" is going back to the channel. When you push the Pre Button it will toggle between the 2 insert locations available. Not sure if that is what you need or not. Again I haven't had to do this in a very long time but hope this gets you where you need to be.

Douglas R. Allen
Hi Douglas,
I appreciate your response very much. I am now halfway there - the dbx unit is fed from Aux 1 pre-fade send however it still returns to the Aux 1 return fader. It is not inserted into the channel. Sure, I can de-select the stereo bus assignment on the vocal input channel and use Aux 1 as the vocal channel but it's a horrible way to mix.
I'm playing multitrack stems from Reaper. It's not a live situation - the mixer is using card inputs.
I tried many routing options and the one I thought would work gave me a HUGE feedback loop. The monitors went into protection limiting and fortunately everything still works. Gave me a fright, that's for sure.
Also, your screenshots look nothing like mine. Are they from Midas or Behringer mixers? I have the X32 Behringer.
BTW, I humbly accept that I'm down the bottom of the ladder in the pecking order with this stuff but I'm not sure what there was in my question that deserved the "can't teach common sense" comment. Not sure that I deserved that.
Best regards,
Larry

You can't teach common sense is a tag that goes in every post I make. Not for you just a saying/moto if you will. I''ll be at my desk Sunday so I'll give it another look. I'm pretty sure there is a way but it's been so long I am having a brain fart it seems.
I'll take another look around tonight.

Doug