X32 compact using x32 rack as stage box - need routing help

Kevin Tisdall

Freshman
Nov 13, 2013
Milford, CT
I've been using an x32 rack and mixing with an iPad for a while. I got an x32 compact so I could have a real mix surface, and I want to use the x32 rack as stage box. So I want to use the x32 rack inputs AND outputs. At the moment I don't need to run anything but the shielded rj45 to the x32 compact.

i have the console and rack connected via aes50-a on both ends and they seem to recognize each other. I cannot get main outs to work. I have not tried any inputs.

please give me the simplest description to get this going. I have read the manual and looked around the wiki and the giant unusable thread elsewhere in soundforums.

--Kevin

Re: X32 compact using x32 rack as stage box - need routing help

On the compact do you see the rack with a green square next to it?

On the compact do you see the rack with a green square next to it?

Yes. At least I think so.

also on the rack, I see the compact.

i seem to be able to get the inputs on the rack to route to the compact. And if I connect the compact xlr out 8 to a monitor speaker I get sound. But I can't get the outputs to work on the rack, starting with main on output xlr 8 on the rack.

--Kevin

Yes. At least I think so.

also on the rack, I see the compact.

i seem to be able to get the inputs on the rack to route to the compact. And if I connect the compact xlr out 8 to a monitor speaker I get sound. But I can't get the outputs to work on the rack, starting with main on output xlr 8 on the rack.

--Kevin

On the routing page the last tab XLR OUT did you try in the first column selecting AES50 A1-4 and in the second column AES50 A5-8? I am not 100 percent sure that is correct but I think it may be right, I set it up a while ago in an install and I haven’t had to touch it since. And then in the second Tab Out 1-16 you select what you want to go to what output.

Please let me know if this works for you.

BTW I live a few towns over from you. FFLD

On the routing page the last tab XLR OUT did you try in the first column selecting AES50 A1-4 and in the second column AES50 A5-8? I am not 100 percent sure that is correct but I think it may be right, I set it up a while ago in an install and I haven’t had to touch it since. And then in the second Tab Out 1-16 you select what you want to go to what output.

Please let me know if this works for you.

BTW I live a few towns over from you. FFLD

Kevin -

I'll try this tonight. I did make changes on both the x32 rack and the x32 compact and I think I did do this. I was able to get inputs to work either on the console or the rack. Just could never get the output to come from the rack. I did have it coming from the console.

We may have met last summer at the Norwalk beach during one of the thursday concerts? As I recall you're more into theater production if I remember correctly.

--Kevin

You have to tell the outputs on the RACK to "listen" to the aes50 stream that you are using.

Thanks. makes sense. But there seem to be 100 ways to do that. Very confusing and most of the info I've seen related to recording or multiple s16's or combinations of s16 and x32 console. I need info on my particular situation.

--Kevin

I cannot get main outs to work

Dear Kevin,
The quickest way to do this is to use the “xlr out” tab on the ROUTING menu of the X32 RACK. For the first bank of outputs, choose “AES50 A1-4”, and for the second bank “AES50 A 5-8”.

On the X32 COMPACT, check the “aes50-a” page of the ROUTING menu, and be sure that the first bank is set to “out 1-8”. This will mirror the 8 outputs of your X32 COMPACT to the X32 RACK.

Hope it helps!

Ok between Tim and John's suggestions I can now use the x32 rack as a stage box. Inputs to the rack route to x32 compact and outputs from compact route out the x32 rack. Now I want to get more complicated:

Is it possible for BOTH x32 rack and compact to share control of the inputs but have the outputs route out the x32 rack? I.E., use the x32 rack as monitor console and compact as FOH?

Additionally, could I send main LR and mix bus 9 down the AES50-A and out of aux out 1,2,3 on the x32 rack and leave the xlr outs on the rack for mix bus 1-8? How?

Can someone explain gain splitting and how to implement it?

FYI I only have ipad control of the x32 rack at the moment.

--Kevin

Kevin -

This is the basic setup for linking foh/mon consoles with s16 stage boxes. Your setup is a subset of this - without the s16s and fewer xlr ports.

http://behringerwiki.music-group.co..._I_share_signals_over_AES50_Supermac_network?

I think you can obtain "L-R-Mix output via aux" signals by routing these on the rack.

You might do some googling on the subject, much available via video. I have not personally performed this routing setup.

-Tim T

Kevin -

I'll try this tonight. I did make changes on both the x32 rack and the x32 compact and I think I did do this. I was able to get inputs to work either on the console or the rack. Just could never get the output to come from the rack. I did have it coming from the console.

We may have met last summer at the Norwalk beach during one of the thursday concerts? As I recall you're more into theater production if I remember correctly.

--Kevin
I think I remember meeting you but I don’t remember what you said you do. Norwalk beach concert would be correct, if it was Thursday night that would have been the one rain postponed show and there would have been a car show in the parking lot also. They are actually Wednesday night concerts. This summer I should be at all of them except the one in 3 weeks, as I will be doing a summer musical indoors. The company I do these shows for bought an M32 this spring and I will be using that for the shows but I will also be using that for the Musical so I haven’t heard what plan B is yet for that date. If you do come again to any of the shows please stop by and introduce yourself. And be careful about assuming something that may look weird as being wrong. For the next show we do there I am hoping to try the dual sound system method (I have done it inside before but never outdoors) and if it works as well as it did indoors I may adopt that method for these shows.

I am into musical theater shows as the technology and techniques are a challenge but that isn’t really the majority of my work. It is just a bunch of my work.

I am glad that you got the X32 rack working as you wanted. I was thinking of using one as a sub mixer for this musical because I need more then 32 preamps. But I think I can get away with using a small analog mixer or 2 instead.

Kevin -

This is the basic setup for linking foh/mon consoles with s16 stage boxes. Your setup is a subset of this - without the s16s and fewer xlr ports.

http://behringerwiki.music-group.co..._I_share_signals_over_AES50_Supermac_network?

I think you can obtain "L-R-Mix output via aux" signals by routing these on the rack.

You might do some googling on the subject, much available via video. I have not personally performed this routing setup.

-Tim T

Thanks Tim,

I've read that and watched several videos and read everythinig I can related to these routing questions. Most resources talk about that you CAN do it but not how, specifically. I've never used anything so non-intuitive before. Not that I don't like the x32 - quite the contrary.

I believe I have read that the aux out 1-6 can only be sent down aes50 in the first bank (aes50-a 1-8 or aes50-b 1-8). Is that correct? I would like to put main L/R from FOH on aux out 1 and 2, but send those to the x32 rack so I can connect the physical aux 1 & 2 outs to the pa. I need to know how.

--Kevin

Ok I'm getting nowhere.

Please do not refer me to a page or video that contains info on how to route with a S16. I don't have one. I am getting extremely frustrated trying to make this work. I am either too stupid or otherwise unable to decode the videos and wiki info I have read to make my situation work.

1) I have an x32 rack I want to use as monitor console with 8 mixes out. I am able to make that work. I have been using the Main LR on the aux 1 and Aux2 outs.

2) I can send the x32 rack inputs to my FOH x32 compact console. I can send the FOH main LR to the FOH aux 1 and 2 outs just fine.

3) I need to route the FOH main LR back to the X32 rack and send the FOH main LR signal out the x32 rack aux 1 and 2 connectors.

Can anyone help?

--Kevin

Change your thinking on the subject.

Think of it like this.

You have a FOH mixer, a stage mixer, and a digital snake.

The digi snake has to be patched on both ends in banks of 8. Easy enough, just select channels 1-16 for inputs. Outputs stay patched all the time, although you get to choose which xlr outputs "listen" to those outputs on the consoles.

Then on each mixer you get to choose which inputs get sent to each channel.

Tim - I think my thinking is ok. I understand the concept just fine. But I have found that the auxes can ONLY be routed by assigning them to aes50 1-8. So that means I have to find another way to get my monitor outputs down to the rack from the FOH if I don't use the rack for sidemix. This is something I hope Behringer changes as soon as possible. This is not "change your thinking" it is "deal with this peculiarity in the METHOD of operating this console. I would prefer you didn't belittle me in the process of my asking for help.

Also, I DO NOT HAVE A DIGITAL SNAKE (S16). I have a Rack and a compact. That's it.

------

Since I have to use the 1-8 bank of aes50 out for the auxes, I expect I will need to use the 9-16 bank of aes50 for my monitor sends 1-8. This is very confusing and is the fallout of not having a proper, straightforward way to route the aux outs.

I am hoping to route mixbus 1-8 on outputs 9-16, output those on aes50a-9-16, and set the rack's xlr outs to listen for them on aes50a-9-16.

If someone has a better METHOD I'm all ears.

--Kevin