x32 / M32 Monitor/IEM issues

Had a chance to play around on the M32, mixing monitors the other day. Very much enjoyed the iOS M32-Mix app as well.

One thing that seems really strange is that when mixing IEMS, setting the console to fader flip, the PAN control still only pans the L/R send rather than the mix send. In fact, panning the channel to a mix is not very easy at all. Really slows down setting up IEM (stereo) monitor mixes.
On the iOS app, M32-Mix and M32-CUE there is also no pan control for mixes. This is a real problem, unless I'm missing something. Others I asked did not know an easy way to pan either.

Is this simply a glaringly missing function, or is there a setting to change the Pan control on the surface or a setting in the iOS apps I'm missing?

Re: x32 / M32 Monitor/IEM issues

Had a chance to play around on the M32, mixing monitors the other day. Very much enjoyed the iOS M32-Mix app as well.

One thing that seems really strange is that when mixing IEMS, setting the console to fader flip, the PAN control still only pans the L/R send rather than the mix send. In fact, panning the channel to a mix is not very easy at all. Really slows down setting up IEM (stereo) monitor mixes.
On the iOS app, M32-Mix and M32-CUE there is also no pan control for mixes. This is a real problem, unless I'm missing something. Others I asked did not know an easy way to pan either.

Is this simply a glaringly missing function, or is there a setting to change the Pan control on the surface or a setting in the iOS apps I'm missing?

It's simply a glaringly missing function. I'm shocked that this still hasn't been addressed. I started hollering about this within about a week of the X32 coming out....

I'm shocked, Shocked to discover that a $2000 mixer doesn't do everything I expect of a professional grade product.

http://youtu.be/SjbPi00k_ME

Touche'. It is weird though that the iPad app for this mixer can literally do EVERYTHING that the surface can do. Except to pan between stereo Auxes. The dedicated Monitor Mix App will do the pan, but the full featured app that does everything else, won't. It's just kinda a weird omission....

I'm shocked, Shocked to discover that a $2000 mixer doesn't do everything I expect of a professional grade product.
Its $5000, but price is irrelevant. It has more features than most mixers at higher prices, so this feature is curiously absent. Many manufacturers could learn a thing or two about UI design from these.

Sent from my iPhone

M32-CUE? How?

Sent from my iPhone

On the X32 Cue app, if two mix busses are set to stereo, you can pan a channel between them. You just tap the little box above the fader and a pan control will appear.

Note, this will NOT work in demo mode since the app has to see a mixer so it can determine you've got mix busses set to stereo.

I don't know that the M32 Cue app works the same. But it certainly should. It looks identical otherwise....

I thought you were talking about a software function on a Behringer x32 OR a Midas M32 which have as I am told, identical software with only some fiddly bit differences in the mic press and the choice of faders. x32s appear to bottom out a little above $2k.

Andrew -

The X32 (surface) and Editor both have the 2 knob gain/pan system for linked mixbusses, ala Yamaha, Allen & Heath. Use the 4 surface encoders for the mix channels, odd=gain, even=pan. The 16 mix send bars on the right side of the input channel home screen indicate relative values.

The XControl iPad app allows you to select a channel and use the "sends" tab to present all 16 mix faders for that channel, no "fader flip/sends on faders" or linked faders (won't temporarily unlink for channel send) needed. Not the same as the surface, but very simple and quick.

Cheers,

-Tim T

Andrew -

The X32 (surface) and Editor both have the 2 knob gain/pan system for linked mixbusses, ala Yamaha, Allen & Heath. Use the 4 surface encoders for the mix channels, odd=gain, even=pan. The 16 mix send bars on the right side of the input channel home screen indicate relative values.
sorry, I'm new to these consoles and had them model number wrong. It was the smaller M32R that I was using and it has no dedicated send knobs. On that console, the pan knob should pan between buses when the console is in sends on fader mode.

The XControl iPad app allows you to select a channel and use the "sends" tab to present all 16 mix faders for that channel, no "fader flip/sends on faders" or linked faders (won't temporarily unlink for channel send) needed. Not the same as the surface, but very simple and quick.

Cheers,

-Tim T

i don't know if that app is identical to the M32-mix app I was using, but I cannot see any channel pan to bus control either in sends on fader mode or when using the sends tab of the channel detail page.

On the X32 Cue app, if two mix busses are set to stereo, you can pan a channel between them. You just tap the little box above the fader and a pan control will appear.

Note, this will NOT work in demo mode since the app has to see a mixer so it can determine you've got mix busses set to stereo.

I don't know that the M32 Cue app works the same. But it certainly should. It looks identical otherwise....
i don't have the console to test this with anymore, but it would be good if that works. Is it documented anywhere?

Andrew -

The M32 and X32 Editors are identical, as are the iPad apps.

The M32R has a "Bus Sends" button which brings up the mixbus sends on knobs under the screen. The gain/pan adjustments are made with the odd/even knobs as described before.

The iPad app, obviously, has no real knobs of any kind. Since panning is changing relative loudness in a stereo field, it can be done by changes made to the 2 adjacent mixbus faders associated with each stereo mix - ie., raising one fader while lowering its "mate" will shift the stereo image to that side. It's no biggie to me because I've been doing it this way since my analogue days ending 10 years ago, and I never actually assign paired channel outputs as "stereo" or "linked". The 16 sends are presented for a selected channel in one screen, so it's pretty convenient, to me, anyway...

-Tim T

Thanks, Tim.

The M32R has a "Bus Sends" button which brings up the mixbus sends on knobs under the screen. The gain/pan adjustments are made with the odd/even knobs as described before.
I see that now. Didn't notice it for some reason when I was looking at the board. Makes it a little better, but really, the hardware PAN control is a wasted control when you're in sends-on-fader mode. It only makes sense that it should control the channel pan to the selected Bus when in that mode.

The iPad app, obviously, has no real knobs of any kind. Since panning is changing relative loudness in a stereo field, it can be done by changes made to the 2 adjacent mixbus faders associated with each stereo mix - ie., raising one fader while lowering its "mate" will shift the stereo image to that side. It's no biggie to me because I've been doing it this way since my analogue days ending 10 years ago, and I never actually assign paired channel outputs as "stereo" or "linked". The 16 sends are presented for a selected channel in one screen, so it's pretty convenient, to me, anyway...

I can't check this now, but are you saying that even when 2 buses are linked as stereo, the send to that bus is still unlinked?
Is that to say that if I link bus 1 and 2, and then put M32-Mix in Sends on Fader mode, selecting bus 1 will control left channel and bus 2 will turn up the right just as if the buses are not linked?
Or are you saying to NOT link the buses and run it that way?

Is it the same scenario on the "Sends" tab on the channel Detail page?

I suppose the only reason to link the buses would be for global comp/eq, etc. so keeping them unlinked is an ok workaround...

Hey Andrew -

I'm saying you CANNOT link the bus faders, because they will stay linked when you address them as "sends" on the selected channel screen.

I see with the M32R the gain/pan must be from the perspective of the selected input channel, adjustable whether or not SOF is in play.

I can see that SOF from the perspective of the linked mixbusses would be good for roughing in the channels included in that mix, but gain/pan would require selecting that input channel. Maybe Music Group will address this - they seem to be really responsive to input from the field.

Regards,

-Tim T

In the Setup page on the mixer in the first tab Global you will see the Link Preferences selections you can chose from the list what is linked together when you link 2 channels. So you can have 2 channels linked and not have the fader & mutes of those 2 channels linked if you want.