X32 rack startup noise

Brian jojade

Senior
Jan 15, 2011
Wausau, WI
www.happymacshop.com
So I finally got my hands on an X32 rack. Sweet little mixer. However, while testing in my shop, I inadvertently power cycled the unit with the amps on. (yeah, I know, don't do that..) When it powered down, I got the expected pop like almost every board does. But then when it started up, I got a surprise I wasn't expecting. During the boot up sequence, there was a significant pulsing of sound for several seconds until the machine was booted. Anyone else have one of these that can confirm that behavior? It seems odd that the outputs wouldn't be muted during startup, as the noise is pretty significant.

Re: X32 rack startup noise

So I finally got my hands on an X32 rack. Sweet little mixer. However, while testing in my shop, I inadvertently power cycled the unit with the amps on. (yeah, I know, don't do that..) When it powered down, I got the expected pop like almost every board does. But then when it started up, I got a surprise I wasn't expecting. During the boot up sequence, there was a significant pulsing of sound for several seconds until the machine was booted. Anyone else have one of these that can confirm that behavior? It seems odd that the outputs wouldn't be muted during startup, as the noise is pretty significant.
Brian,

I just gave it a go (although I never do this in practice).

On shutdown, I got a small pop. Nothing to write home about.

On startup, as you suggested, I got a pretty loud .... kissing sound which reverberated and delayed through my vocal channels.

I agree. The channels should be muted until they are up all the way on startup. You may want to report this as a bug in the reporting thread.

I would recommend that no one turn off or on their mixer while the amps are on..... especially with this mixer it seems.

Yeah, I wouldn't normally do this in practice either, but sometimes things happen.

Used it for a show this weekend and had the unit reboot on me unexpectedly. Not sure if there was a power glitch, or what happened, but the amps stayed on and I couldn't get to them quick enough to shut it down. After that, it worked flawlessly.

Yeah, many boards will make a pop at startup or shut down, which is sort of expected. But this sound lasts 5-10 seconds, which seems like an eternity!

The pop at startup probably can't be fixed by firmware or they would have done it by now, but any additional noise should be possible to fix in firmware.

Yeah, I wouldn't normally do this in practice either, but sometimes things happen.

Used it for a show this weekend and had the unit reboot on me unexpectedly. Not sure if there was a power glitch, or what happened, but the amps stayed on and I couldn't get to them quick enough to shut it down. After that, it worked flawlessly.

Yeah, many boards will make a pop at startup or shut down, which is sort of expected. But this sound lasts 5-10 seconds, which seems like an eternity!

I originally had my rack setup to have card inputs for 1-16 when I first reported I could reproduce this as well. I changed the routing to be local 1-16 with no card inputs and I can no longer reproduce the problem.

Can you verify?

The pop at startup probably can't be fixed by firmware or they would have done it by now, but any additional noise should be possible to fix in firmware.

I agree Per. The pop at startup isn't very loud at all. I don't think it is an issue. The rest of the transient was louder .... and much longer. It persists until the UI is displayed and then a couple of seconds beyond that.