X32-s32 drop out

Steve miller

Aug 20, 2022
Florida
I work at a church Ans we’ve been have pops and drop outs for months . A whole lot of equipment replacement after a lightning strike has gotten us to the point that we think we have everything new. But today testing with new…. Xlr cables , amplified speakers and subs , x32 2 years old , s32 newer than a year , mic’s , spearing out antenna ls for other equipment…. We don’t know what to do. Made sure board and s32 was synchronized. Clean power, not on same grid as air conditioning system. We are lost . Help Please any ideas?

I know the spec says shielded Cat5, but I only learned this last month after a number of years with 50m of unscreened never causing problems. You don't mention if you have disconnected the stage box and cat5 and tried the X32's internal preamps and outputs. If that is clean with no clicks, then try the S32 connected locally with a very short cable. This will suggest the stage box, or the cable as the culprit.

I know the spec says shielded Cat5, but I only learned this last month after a number of years with 50m of unscreened never causing problems. You don't mention if you have disconnected the stage box and cat5 and tried the X32's internal preamps and outputs. If that is clean with no clicks, then try the S32 connected locally with a very short cable. This will suggest the stage box, or the cable as the culprit.
Thats likely your problem, particularly with your description. It happened to me until I borrowed a fully shielded cable and then bought my own.

Reactions: Tim McCulloch
I work at a church Ans we’ve been have pops and drop outs for months . A whole lot of equipment replacement after a lightning strike has gotten us to the point that we think we have everything new. But today testing with new…. Xlr cables , amplified speakers and subs , x32 2 years old , s32 newer than a year , mic’s , spearing out antenna ls for other equipment…. We don’t know what to do. Made sure board and s32 was synchronized. Clean power, not on same grid as air conditioning system. We are lost . Help Please any ideas?

The answer is: CAT5e SHIELDED with shielded RJ45, with genuine EtherCon connectors with full shield connectivity. If you probe end to end, there should be full conductivity on the EtherCons.

Max length for reliability is about 250 feet. I've had 300 feet work but I didn't have confidence and the client didn't want to pay for the fibre kit rental. We lived but I'd rather have not pushed my luck.