X32 sticky buttons fix

Hey all,

I have an old hard plastic button X32 that just came off of a long lease. I'm cleaning it up, but it has several sticky buttons on it. I remember reading somewhere that somebody found a fix to this, but now I can't seem to find it. My Google-fu is weak.

Specifically, I remember somebody sent their desk to Behringer and the tech did some mod to the buttons that fixed it.

Re: X32 sticky buttons fix

I'm not sure if this is what you're thinking, but I'll relay my recent experience. I had a sticky button on one of my X32's, so I decided to go in myself and see what I could do. I'm not sure I'd recommend that anyone do that, but here's what I found:

In my case, the sticky button was caused by the switch itself, under the button (each button has a switch mounted to the board underneath it). Once I had the case open and the board removed, I tried other switches which pressed smoothly but the problem switch was always rough, even without the button attached. Since it wasn't the button causing the problem, I figured that the plastic housing of the switch was catching on the plunger and causing the issue, and it turned out I was right.

I took the mixer apart, obviously, which wasn't terribly difficult. Then I removed the board with the offending switch on it. Without unsoldering the switch from the board, I disassembled the switch. It wasn't easy, as the little tabs that hold the top of the switch are very difficult to get to while the switch is still attached to the board. By far the biggest trouble I had were the super tiny copper contacts inside the switch, which fell out when I removed the top of the switch housing. I didn't realize they were in there and not securely attached to anything, and I also didn't realize they'd be so small. I very nearly lost them several times. Turns out it's kind of a complicated little switch. But I got it apart, and I used a razor blade to gently shave down the opening in the housing that the plunger slides in. After I found all the super tiny copper contacts and carefully reassembled the switch it ran smoothy. I reassembled the mixer, and that button actually operates slightly more smoothly than all the other buttons. It completely fixed my sticky button issue.

If you decide to try this, you need to be careful with the wires that connect the top panel to the bottom. They're fairly short, and you could easily pull them out or break them. And be super careful as you're disassembling the switches. The contacts are super tiny and fragile. Seriously, I wouldn't have guessed how complicated the switches are and how easy it is for the contacts to fall out of there. Otherwise, getting the circuit board out isn't too big a deal, and getting the mixer apart and back together again is much easier with an electric screwdriver of your choice. Lots of screws on that mixer.

I'd probably do it again if I had to, but I have more experience with electronics repair than a lot of people and I hate paying for things. If I was short on time, or I had less technical ability than I do, I'd strongly consider sending it in. There's a whole lot that can go wrong once you open the hood. I could have easily messed something up and been left with a large doorstop or an expensive repair bill.

Then again, maybe your problem isn't the same as mine. I've heard some people have problems with the buttons sticking in the slot, which is probably an easier problem to fix than mine was.

If you do decide to open it up, watch out for the super tiny contacts inside the switches. They'll surprise you.

That's probably a good place to start. If that's all it is, that'll be a lot easier than what I had to deal with. Opening it up isn't too bad, just be careful not to pull any wires out.

Hey all,

I have an old hard plastic button X32 that just came off of a long lease. I'm cleaning it up, but it has several sticky buttons on it. I remember reading somewhere that somebody found a fix to this, but now I can't seem to find it. My Google-fu is weak.

Specifically, I remember somebody sent their desk to Behringer and the tech did some mod to the buttons that fixed it.

Dear Tim

Please allow me to introduce myself; my name is Keith and I am a Care Technician at MUSIC in Kidderminster where we service and manage spare parts for all MUSIC brands. In regards to your X32 sticky buttons fix we would love to help resolve your issue.

Would you be able to contact our technical support team to discuss the problem in more detail?
You can reach us at [email protected] or on +1-702-800-8290 (US) or +44 1562 732290 (UK)

Thank you for your on-going support and use of our brands.