Xenyx x1204 USB For Radio Broadcast - high pitched beep

Louise Mason

Jan 24, 2021
UK
Hi

I am no tech whizz so your helps would be much appreciated.

I am using a Xenyx X1204 USB for my radio shows which I broadcast through Audio Hijack on my laptop. I am playing music from my mac book which is connected to Line IN 7/8 with a cable (A LinkinPerk Double 6.35mm Mono Cable,1/4 to 1/8 Inch 3.5 mm to 2 X 6.35 mm Cable).
When I turn on audio hijack (or any DAW for that matter like logic pro) with this cable connected to my laptop there is a constant high pitched beeping noise. So the first question is, is there a way to get rid of this without using any other equipment or is the fact I am using my laptop for the output of music, plus to record the input of both the music and my mic both controlled by the XENYX causing the problem?)

If I will need other equipment and it's not a problem with the XENYX 1204 USB, good to know. What would you suggest I do?

I have previously used an audio interface (a Focusrite which I borrowed off someone and which I connected via leads from the Control room out at the back of the Xenyx. That seemed to do the trick and stop the beeping). However, I have just bought one myself which is this: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen USB Audio Interface (the same one I borrowed but possibly slightly updated) and this time the problem is still there and the beeping hasn't gone away.

All help would be much appreciated. Sadly in lockdown I can't get anyone who knows what they are doing to help.

Noise from a computer headphone jack like you describe is somewhat common when interfacing with other equipment.
It's caused from a combination of RF processor noise and grounding between the computer and connected equipment.

Are you using two computers, one for broadcast and another for music playback?
Are you using the USB connection on the mixer and if so for what audio input out connection?

A quick thing to try is disconnect the mac book from power and see if with it running on battery if you still hear the noise,

USB audio interfaces like the Focusrite usually take care of that kind of noise, I'm not sure what king of isolation that
model has though.
Here is a simple transformer isolated USB audio output interface that works really well.

Peavey USB-P

Hi Maike

Thank you for replying that's really helpful.

I am using one computer for broadcast and music playing, so I imagine that is probably the problem.
I was using the USB connection on the mixer as well as the Line in 7/8 as decribed above. I have now tried without the USB connection to the mixer and just the jack lead and instead using the USB on the focusrite to connect to the computer and that seems to have done the trick so we will see if that continues to work.

I will try the mac power trick too in future. I may be back!