Yamaha DM1000 too much horsepower?

Re: Yamaha DM1000 too much horsepower?

Hi everyone-

I'm new here and very very junior varsity: still learning the ropes of how to run a mixer, but hopefully you will afford me some patience. Most of my experience with audio is from my work in church, and that's where my question today comes from.

We currently use a Yamaha DM1000 digital mixer for the band at church. Our church is very small (80 people) and we meet in the basement of a comedy club ATM where we send a mixed output to the house system. We are hoping to eventually get our own building where we can meet, which may be relevant in deciding which system to get. The general consensus at church is that the Yamaha is overkill for our needs. We usually have electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, kick, snare/hi-hat and 2 vocals, along with some bumper music from itunes.

Given that, should we downsize to something a bit more simple on the mixer end? If yes, are there any suggestions for a good (probably cheaper) mixer we could get? We may one day get more drum mics and add another guitar, so expandability is sort of a factor, but not huge.

If this is in the wrong forum, could someone please enlighten me? I hope I haven't violated any forum rules! Thanks for your help!

Are you having operational difficulty, or is it the size/weight or idea that it "just isn't right for us?"

The DM1000 is a very versatile, highly configurable mixer. That's both a major strength and a potential drawback, but if you're not having problems using it, I'd be inclined to keep it as you can very much grow into it.

Are you having operational difficulty, or is it the size/weight or idea that it "just isn't right for us?"

The DM1000 is a very versatile, highly configurable mixer. That's both a major strength and a potential drawback, but if you're not having problems using it, I'd be inclined to keep it as you can very much grow into it.
I don't think there are many issues running the board. It's probably more that we have a good bit of cash tied up in our sound system right now, which may not be the smartest move for a little congregation with a modest income.

I don't think there are many issues running the board. It's probably more that we have a good bit of cash tied up in our sound system right now, which may not be the smartest move for a little congregation with a modest income.

As others have said, the DM1000 is not worth much. I've had mine up for sale over the last few months, and the only bite I got was an offer of about $2000 including the MY16AT...so it's not even worth selling really.

As others have said, the DM1000 is not worth much. I've had mine up for sale over the last few months, and the only bite I got was an offer of about $2000 including the MY16AT...so it's not even worth selling really.
That could affect things, so I appreciate the input. I think if we can unload the whole system (EQ, subs, mains, mixer, wireless) to another organization that needs a full setup, we might do that. Otherwise we'll probably keep it, given the low return on what seems to be a good board.

Somebody local to me has a DM1000, AES card and 2 AD8HRs for sale right now at $5K. The pres are worth $2400 each (new), so he's practically giving the console away.

Having said that, we have a DM1000 at my day job, and it's a fine console to use. The build quality is at a level above the LS9 and M7CL, IMHO, although it is somewhat dated in many respects. A monochrome, non-touch screen, no HPFs (without giving up a band of EQ), no graphics, and no recallable head amps are a few things that we expect on more modern consoles. However, compared to the LS9 at least, the resolution of the faders is finer (.1 vs. .5 dB), as are the EQ (.1 vs 1 dB) adjustments. That may not make a practical difference when mixing, but it does indicate a difference in priorities when the two consoles were designed.

The one we have is pushing 10 years old, and still works perfectly. I certainly have no complaints about its sound quality, although it can take some button pushing to get to the page you want, especially in the dynamics.

GTD