Yamaha DSR215 Anyone mixed on it yet?

Re: Yamaha DSR215 Anyone mixed on it yet?

Despite the issues, I still really like the Mackie HD boxes. I had a lengthy conversation with a rep at Mackie a few weeks ago, and they seem to have nailed out the issues with those boxes. ...Or so they say. I sent my amp module back to them, and they fixed it for free under warranty(turn around was just over 2 weeks). The subs were a little underwhelming, but the HD1531's are really quite impressive. I ended up with HD1531's over LS800p's, and I couldn't be happier.

Evan

How many subs per top are using? Outboard crossover or using the cabs crossover?

How many subs per top are using? Outboard crossover or using the cabs crossover?

It's just a simple 1 over 1 setup. I've done a few shows with the internal crossovers, and it sounds fine, but I like the added control of an external processor. I've done rock shows up to 300 people with the rig, and it's been plenty.

I auditioned a lot of active speakers in the $1100 range, and the HD1531's came out on top of everything. They're a little heavy, but the SQ and SPL make up for it. Plus they're pole mountable, which is awesome.

Evan

I had a lengthy conversation with a rep at Mackie a few weeks ago, and they seem to have nailed out the issues with those boxes. ...Or so they say.

Good to know.

I am still impressed how they sound as good as they do for the price - I intend to hang on to mine. For the smaller shows where they are appropriate they do very well.

Tim, I'm looking for something very similar to what you're looking for. So far the best I've came up with is the QSC KW153 ($1300/box). The Mackie box looks good but I'm not sure I want a 90 degree box. The possibility to expand and array 2 boxes is very appealing if at all possible. I'm also interested in the ISP Tripower box but can't find any pricing online.

Evan, what issues did you have with the Mackie box? What other boxes did you try before you bought?

Just wondering how this cab sounds for a small rig FOH. Does the 1" horn keep up? I can't find any reviews where someone has used them in anger yet. Just looking for opinions here. I need to build a small rig and thinking about 2 of the 215's over 4 of the DSR118's. Should be a potent little club rig, but I'm worried about the 1" horn. I could go to banjo center, I know, but that won't tell me how they hold together in a 2000 square foot bar packed with people.

TIA
You will be fine. We have 2 DSR 115 speakers that sound great and never an issue. The highs are GREAT. Which is what sold me on those speakers besides the name.

I'm trying to be cheap. LOL

Really I'm looking for a LOW COST rig that I can put less experienced guys on and not worry about it getting blown up. I realize that I can get good processing and power and use something like an MRX level pa, but that kinda defeats the purpose of being cheap. I was hoping that these new Yamaha powered jobbies would do the trick for me since they really could be the king of low cost PA, if only they sounded good!

I completely agree, but unfortunately it's kind of difficult to get a high output mid/top that isn't a dual 15 in this market segment. There are a couple 3-way self powered boxes, but there are no dual 10's or horn loaded 12's that are self powered and club-market cheap. The best I can hope for is a single 12 that is built to be more of a monitor wedges than a FOH cabinet...
Let me say first I have a pair of DSR 115 speakers. They sound great and have never failed me. I've had them for over 10 years. My suggestion is to buy a pair of great sounding speakers and add a gate limiter to the setup. Set the limiter to the desire you want, put in a locked cage so the settings can't be changed. That way the speakers won't get blown. The limiter will only allow the power to go but so high no matter what a DJ does with the master volume.