Yamaha RIO HPF

Michael John

Junior
Jun 25, 2011
Sydney, Australia
eclipseaudio.com
Can anyone confirm that the high pass filters in the Yamaha RIO stage boxes are analog (under remote control)? It makes the most sense that they're analog - if they were digital they may as well be in the console - but I can't find any reference to this in the manual.

Cheers,

Re: Yamaha RIO HPF

They are adjustable but I have to be honest, I have always assumed it was in the board and the Rio's were just pre-amps with AD conversion. Now you have me wondering.. I have two of the 1608 boxes going to a QL1

They are adjustable but I have to be honest, I have always assumed it was in the board and the Rio's were just pre-amps with AD conversion. Now you have me wondering.. I have two of the 1608 boxes going to a QL1

Thinking out loud here... if the HPF is ahead of the AD conversion then any filtration would be evident in the signal distributed on the Dante network. The elegant way would be to apply an external pink noise source to the analog RIO input and measure the Dante-distributed signal using DVS on a computer with Smaart or Systune.

Thinking out loud here... if the HPF is ahead of the AD conversion then any filtration would be evident in the signal distributed on the Dante network. The elegant way would be to apply an external pink noise source to the analog RIO input and measure the Dante-distributed signal using DVS on a computer with Smaart or Systune.

Or apply a low frequency sinewave and watch the meters while you sweep the HPF up.

Yamaha reps are giving demos here at the Montreal AES and they showed me a CL5 w RIO. (DiGiCo S21 and SSL are here too.)

The RIO has its own adjustable analog HPF. The console's digital HPF is also available. When using multiple consoles, all consoles obviously get the analog HPF applied, and the gain compensation mechanism sets the analog gain based on whichever console wants the highest analog headroom.

I just looked at the Yamaha website, and the Rio page doesn't say anything about low-cut filters. There's a digital low-cut in the channel processing in all the consoles, but that's all I've ever seen in those systems.

The HPF in the Rio has been there since the Rio was first introduced. You access it through the Rio control, not any channel strip control on the console.

Mac

The HPF in the Rio has been there since the Rio was first introduced. You access it through the Rio control, not any channel strip control on the console.

Mac

So Mac, the HPF on the console is just that, the console.. Guessing the R Remote software would handle the HPF in the Rio.

Edit: Just looked at R Remote and that is exactly how it works. The HPF is controlled in the software.

Last edited:

So Mac, the HPF on the console is just that, the console.. Guessing the R Remote software would handle the HPF in the Rio.

Edit: Just looked at R Remote and that is exactly how it works. The HPF is controlled in the software.

You don't need to use the R Remote software, you can use the console, but the control is not on a channel strip it is in the Rio control. Bring up the Rio on the console and double click on a row of inputs, you should get a panel with polarity and HPF on it.

Mac

The Yamaha reps showed me the RIO control from inside the CL5, which includes the RIO HPF (separate to the console HPF). I pressed them repeatedly about whether or not the RIO HPF was analog and they said it was, but maybe they were wrong. They didn't seem too technical.

It's not analog. The HPF is done digitally after the A/D.

Last edited: